Exploding Koa pen blanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary_C

New User
Gary
I just ruined my second koa pen blank in a row. i got the first one down to finishing cuts when a couple big chunks broke out of the end. Enough to ruin the blank. Started on a second one tonight and it broke into pieces as I was roughing the blank.

This is my first experience turning koa. Is koa more brittle and prone to breaking or is it just me? I haven't had this happen with other kinds of woods...although I have to admit my experience with other woods is somewhat limited as well...

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
How sharp are your tools? With brittle woods light cuts with sharp tools are the key.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I've only turned 2 Koa pens so I don't have a lot of experience with the wood, but I didn't run into any issues.

rsaucedo

New User
Ras
I've only turned a few Koa blanks as well but have not had any problems either. I use a sharp skew for brittle woods like koa or wenge. koa finishes very pretty especially if you have some curly koa.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I've had that experience on some woods, and switched to Gorilla Glue. Always had used medium ca, but I think the GG has more flexibility. Anyhow, that seemed to me to work better and prevent blowouts. Just my thoughts, and shouldn't be taken as gospel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors