ever turned BASSWOOD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncbeachbound

New User
Brian
Hi everyone
I'm a new member located in Sanford...just wondering if anyone has turned BASSWOOD and what was the results?

M

McRabbet

Hi Brian,

I'm afraid I can't answer your question because I'm not a turner -- I do know that basswood is the premier wood for many woodcarvers because of it's consistent straight grain and "carvability". I'm sure other members that are turners will chime in with an answer from their perspective.

We'd love to hear more about your interests, your shop, your experience and your projects. We are a sharing, positive bunch of woodworking lovers that live to see others stuff! So, be sure to click on Other Links on the Main Menu bar and request a Photo Gallery -- then check out the FAQ forum section on Photo Gallery to learn how to upload them -- Around here "no pics, it didn't happen!"

Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have never turned Basswood, but I have turned Cedar and it is relatively soft like Basswood. I had a little problem with getting a nice smooth surface, it wanted to be fuzzy. Now that could be because I have only a little experience in turning, or softer woods might not be the best to turn. I am sure that some of the more experienced turners will chime in soon.
Dave:)

ncbeachbound

New User
Brian
I've done cedar and it seemed to come out fine..leaves a good smell in the shop also..I would think since it's soft, go slow and keep the tools sharp....I've only been turning bowls for a month or so, but I'm hooked...

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
hi, i've turned basswood several times. its fuzzes alot and tears like crazy. sharp tools are definitely a must, longer bevels than usual help alot. as for speed, slow is not the way, as fast as you are comfortable with will get you a nicer cut. it doesn't scrape well at all and sanding it is tedious. if you're practicing i'd recommend poplar instead, the only thing basswood has to recommend it is that is does carve extremely well, so a turned and carved piece that will be painted or stained would be a good reason to use it. hope that helps.

phillip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors