Even a SawStop would not work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Normally guys I would post something funny about just how dumb I was today. Well, I had a tablesaw accident this afternoon. It wasn't funny but I was sure dumb!

The first of all the dumb things I do is run my saw without the blade guard. Or a riving knife. Never again. I was trying to move a 4 inch x 1 inch long piece of wood that was moving into the blade and getting ready to kick-back at me. I had just hit the off switch when I watched helplessly as my left hand reached over the speeding blade and my middle finger got sucked into the blade. I got REAL lucky. But I did lose half my finger nail, possibly the nail root and definitely about a 1/4 inch of finger on the left side as you look at your hand. I have nerve damage and may have a little tendon damage, but again I was real lucky.

Sorry guys, while I did take cellphone photos of my finger I do not want to post them. Trust me it happened. As I was telling the paramedics what happened it occured to me that even a SawStop would not have helped because I was at the rear of the blade.

Anyway, I am getting rid of the saw and buying a bandsaw.

I won't ever be as stupid as I have been in the past. Lessons learned today will be with me forever!

Take a breath before you use any kind of woodworking equipment and go it slow.

I'll post when I get the new saw.

Anna-Catherine

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'm so sorry.

I had a similar experience, but luckily mine was not close to the blade. It was the same scenario, post cut reaching to turn off the power.

That scared me straight and I never took my guard off after that.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Jim

M

McRabbet

Very sorry to hear of your mishap, Anna-Catherine. I know it is way to late for this situation, but there are some key reasons this happened. This post to not to admonish you, but is to help others learn what not to do in a similar circumstance.

I was trying to move a 4 inch x 1 inch long piece of wood that was moving into the blade and getting ready to kick-back at me.

First, even if it was a cutoff, that is too small a piece to cut off between the fence and the blade. For small pieces, you are best off to use a cross cut sled equipped with a toggle clamp to hold the stock in place and keep the fence away from the cutoff piece.

Second, always stand to the left side of the blade so any piece that is cut off that may decide to become a missle will miss you if the blade catches it. In other words, it is safer to let it kick back than to try to retrieve it (Mother Nature makes more wood, but she isn't very good at making new digits).

Third and foremost (this applies to your tablesaw, a bandsaw and a table router), never reach over or around the cutting blade or bit while the tool is running. Always wait for the blade/bit to stop before any retrieval.

Dragon

New User
David
Sorry to hear about your accident Anna_Catherine. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery and no impairments to your abilities. Saws are unconscious, they will bite whatever comes within range. It's unfortunate that we get hurt from some of or mistakes but if we learn from them, there is some good arising from the pain. Guess that's why my momma whupped my little behind so frequently. Obviously, I needed to do a lot of lernin' in my younger days.

Threejs

New User
David
Sorry to hear about your accident, but actually a saw stop would have stopped it. It doesn't really matter where you touch the blade (front or back). I still will lower the voltage on it, and trigger the break.

I am with McRabbet on this one. Let it go.. If it flies off, it flies off.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Anna-Catherine,
Very sorry to hear of your mishap, I had a similar one back in Fall. My thumb is far from normal, but it's nothing like it was when it first happened. If told back then I'd have this much mobility now, I would have said they were lying. I was ready to sell off the whole shop, that passed quickly. I had some great days in the shop since and I found a new passion for woodworking.
Hope this helps, Jim

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I had just hit the off switch when I watched helplessly as my left hand reached over the speeding blade and my middle finger got sucked into the blade.

I'm so sorry - that has to be terrible. Glad to hear it wasn't worse! I took off a little chunk of my pinkie a few months ago and the finger is still healing. No fun!

As I was telling the paramedics what happened it occured to me that even a SawStop would not have helped because I was at the rear of the blade.

I'm curious why you think a SawStop would not have helped? Contacting the blade at any position should trigger the brake - and the entire blade descends into the table, not just the front. In addition, the riving knife would serve as a barrier to keep you finger away from the rear of the blade. I must be missing something...:icon_scra

speedy healing!

Chris

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
So sorry to hear of your accident. Hope you heal quickly and completely.

Take some time to think about the band saw as they bite too. I know, as I worked in the butcher shop of a grocery store in college and had two run ins with the band saw. My right thumb has a few numb spots where I had several stitches and I have diagonal marks on the knuckle side of the 3 middle fingers on my right hand from brushing across the blade to reach a piece that had been cut off. Meat saw blades have curved teeth that pull meat into the blade, so I was really lucky to even have my fingers.

Accidents can happen to any of us on any piece of equipment.

Take care
Brent

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
OUCH,sorry to here that,I sure hope you have a speady recovery.I wacked to fingers at different times.once I went to the shop in a VERY ticked (I'll us that word) and that finger is still a little numb,but nothing bad,and the second time I had my head somewhere besides on my shoulder,got about a 1" scar,but agian I was lucky.HEY that coulda been two law suits :saw:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Wow - sorry to hear that and I hope it heals quickly. I am another advocate of sleds, especially for small stuff.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Anna-Catherine,
Mostly I have to say how sorry I am this happened to you. I also think you are very brave to share your experience with us and thanks for not sharing pix!:elvis:

After StevieGWood had his accident on a table saw I went and got a paddle switch for mine feeling that my feeling around for the stop button was just asking for trouble. I will learn from you too. I don't use the blade guard but do use the riving knife. Not sure yet what I'll do or change now but I won't turn my saw on that I won't think of you and Steve.

Sending my best energy for your rapid healing. Take care and keep us posted.

Barbara

reprosser

New User
Rick
Sorry to hear about your accident, but thanks for posting - a reminder to everyone to keep thinking safety.

Heal well.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Hey everyone, thanks so much for your kind words and your wisdom. First off I want to address the misconceptions I had about the SawStop. Not having ever used one or seen it demonstrated I hadn't realized how it worked EXACTLY. It is great how it works. Thanks for the info. It is on my list for my next tablesaw. I will get one, this accident is the ONLY excuse I have to get a new, safer one. Also my current snake errr tablesaw is a Ryobi BT3100. It's a nice "first" saw but the guard assembly/anti-kickback blades were deeply scratching my wood on the outfeed. I tried everything but it was the spring tention that was too tight.

I do realize that ALL bladed machines are not safe at all. LOL

One more thing, words of wisdom are always welcome at my home. Apparently since I ain't always as wise as I want to be.

Another thought...I am currently out of work, but I do have COBRA, thank God. Anyway, I had to call 911 because I was the ONLY one at home on my block and all my friends work. Scary!

cskipper

Cathy
Gosh, I hate that you got hurt - glad it wasn't worse! Thank you for sharing you story - it keeps safety in the forefront of our minds. LOML hadn't been using his blade guard and splitter awhile back until the second whopping bruise he received from a kickback. They have been re-installed. I rarely use a table saw, but since I cut small pieces I always use the sled - chicken probably, but still have all of my fingers. Hope you heal quickly.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I'm very sorry to hear about your accident but relieved to hear it was not as bad as it could have been. Thanks for sharing your story, it's always good to have reminders.

Travis

shopsmithtom

New User
SST
Sorry to hear of the mishap. It's good to have reminders about safety and these seem to hit home (unfortunately) be well soon, and be careful if you get a bandsaw. They're deceptively dangerous as well. Not as noisy, so sometimes we aren't as wary, but they cut quickly & quietly...without a sawstop version.(I don't think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS