Estate Sale in Greensboro

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpw

New User
Charles
Looks like someone never met a chisel or gouge they didn't like. Hope someone scores big.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I scored "medium" yesterday, not "big". Their tag prices were a little high, I thought. On the good quality, wide carving gouges (Swiss made) they wanted $20 each. They go for around $35 at Woodcraft, so just over half price. On the narrower tools, they wanted $10. I was able to group 7 or 8 things together, then talk them into a package price. A little better, but not as good as I had hoped. :gar-La;

A lot of the sets were very low quality, and probably not worth having. Although they might be good starter sets. Basically, the quality ranged from top-of-the-line, to junk. You had to look it over pretty carefully, and know what you were looking at. A friend and I were there when they opened and were able to scarf up a few of what we felt were the "better" tools.

Incidentally, they said anything still left on Sunday afternoon will go to half price.

Bill

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I was out of town yesterday and did not have time to go by. Stopped in at 1 pm today and all of the remaining Pfiel carving tools (22 in all) and a set of Japanese mortising chisels (set of 3, 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2", cannot identify on the internet and do not read Japanese) were still there along with a set of Stanley No 60 bench chisles all at half the price from the previous sale days. I also purchased 3 German solinger carving tools. Purchased all of these at a cost of $150 (see photo 41 in the ad). I checked the prices online and these were somewhere in the neighborhood of $800 retail. Many of these appear to have never been used as only four of the Pfiel tools were all that had been sharpened.
I also purchased a Meister DIN5142 26 mm Firmier gouge (at todays prices $5 so no loss). Is anyone familar with this tool? This one has never been used as it has a plastic ring over the metal rinng presumably to hang on a rack. this would have to be removed to strike the gouge.
The Stanley no 60 tools (4 piece set) were only $10 and appear to be from the 1950's as they have melamine handles. Another Stanley that was included is labeled Stanley professional 16-612. Are these old enough to be high quality and hold a good edge or no better than current Lowes quality Stanley?
The photo has the Japanese tools in the left corner. They have an edge that will shave hair so i assumed they were good quality. Can anyone identify these?
I have taken a carving class at Alamnance community college and had no skill whatsoever but for the price of these tools I did not have a lot to loose and perhaps I can learn. I also find them useful for cleaning up around joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors