Epoxy

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I thought there was a recent discussion on epoxy that included some feedback on options other than System Three and West, but I can’t seem to find it!

Any suggestions for other less expensive epoxy options? Box store epoxy is not a consideration!

I’m working on a hickory handrail and have some knots to fill, so I don’t want to buy large quantities of epoxy that may go bad.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I’ve recently used the Total Boat products from Jamestown Distributors. It was similar to work with as WEST. Don’t have long term experience to evaluate performance. They market many specialty resins and gardeners for specific purposes.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I have used this from Amazon. You can buy pints.

EPOXY RESIN CRYSTAL CLEAR 16 oz Kit. FOR SUPER GLOSS COATING AND TABLETOPS

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
See what folks like Spruce Aircraft carry. They may be more in the poly resin camp which boat builders have to keep away from. ( absorbs moisture and delaminates)
I use WEST mainly because I use it and trust it. No insights on alternatives.

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
Jamestown Distributors sells TotalBoat Thixo 2:1 epoxy in a conventional caulking tube. I use it often for furniture joints where a long open time is required and have used it to repair deterioration in outdoor railings. I like it because no measurement is required. I do not use the mixing swirl vane tip, mixing only what is needed by hand. It lasts for months after you start using it. It can be placed on a vertical surface and will not sag.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Whatever brand/source you choose be sure you are using the right epoxy for the job. Bonding, sealing, casting etc all are different applications requiring different resins and hardeners.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Agreed, I benefited from talking to boat and surfboard custom makers, they helped me understand the materials and approaches to using. Saved me from a lot of errors and rookie mistakes.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Box store epoxy is not a consideration!
I’m working on a hickory handrail and have some knots to fill.

If you're just filling some knots why is "Box store epoxy" not an option?
It's not like it's a high-stress application.
I'm not questioning your choice. Just wondering why.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
If you are just filling knots, a fast set epoxy works well and @ 13-15 bucks a pint - just cheaper is why.
Also, if you use the same system for fast set as medium or slow set or low viscosity/ vacuum sealing, you get better at using it and end up with better time management.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I’ve found that it doesn’t tend to flow as well or dry as clear.

If you're just filling some knots why is "Box store epoxy" not an option?
It's not like it's a high-stress application.
I'm not questioning your choice. Just wondering why.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS