Entry level scroll saw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
I am thinking about adding a scroll saw to my shop. My main focus would be scroll sawn (sawed?) ornaments and such to sell along with my pens at holiday shows. Without spending hundreds of dollars on a really nice machine, what are some good starter machines? What are some of the cheap machines that I should carefully avoid?

Thanks,

Adam

RickC

New User
Rick
I am thinking about adding a scroll saw to my shop. My main focus would be scroll sawn (sawed?) ornaments and such to sell along with my pens at holiday shows. Without spending hundreds of dollars on a really nice machine, what are some good starter machines? What are some of the cheap machines that I should carefully avoid?

Thanks,

Adam

For what is worth, I took the same approach. What I found is the cheap scrollsaw was such a pain to use, it made scrolling unpleasant and I almost quit it then and there. However, sometimes the budget overrides the desire. That being said - I would avoid any saw that used pinned blades. They are difficult to change, and require large holes to be drilled to do inside cuts. Some saws provide a conversion kit, but if you are doing a lot of inside cuts, it can be a real pain as you will probably need to have a hex wrench close by.

But if you still want to pursue that approach, you may want to check out Harbor Freight's variable scrollsaw (HERE). Plus if you can land one of those 20% off coupons you could get in for real cheap. It comes with a conversion kit to accept pinless blades. (For those who will knock the HF option, I am proceeding with the understanding of a limited budget.) The other thing is to look at the classifieds here or on Craig's List. However, sometimes urgency (translated enthusiasm!) does not allow for that. I would think the deciding factor would be how many inside cuts your desired pattern(s) require, and how small they would be. The more and smaller they are, the greater need for a decent pinless type saw will be. You will just plain like it a lot more.

Eventually I ended up selling the pin type scrollsaw and bought a DeWalt 788, which is great. I found it amazing as to how much more enjoyable scrollsawing became with the nice saw.

Good luck on your quest.

RoyWarren

New User
Roy
Adam,

My advice is similar to what RickC said.

Stay away from the cheapos as well as the real expensive saws.

The main thing you are looking for is an easy blade change, if you are going to make Christmas ornaments or fretwork. If you only want to do intarsia (outside cuts) about anything will work. But for most scrolling you will need a better saw.

My suggestion would be the DeWalt. If you can find one, Delta made a saw that is the exact copy of the DeWalt but sold at lot better price. They may still be available. If not, get the DeWalt.

I have an RBI that I bought in the '80s for $1000 and the DeWalt/Delta. I use the DeWalt/Delta almost exclusively. Mainly because it is much easier to change the blade.

The only drawback I have with the DeWalt is the speed. I run my saw at the slowest speed. The RBI will run at a slower speed than the DeWalt so I like that feature better.

But the DeWalt is a lot less money than the RBI and it will do everything the RBI will do.

To me this is a purchase that will last you 20 years or more, so why skimp and buy something that you will be dissatisfied with. (Been there, done that) My first one was a $129 Sears, pin type. The smallest hole you could put the blade throught was one inch.

Roy

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I read a column in the last issue of Creative Woodcrafts, where it is stated that Dewalt is no longer producing the 788. Delta's identical saw, but with their name is the 40-690, however, they have introduced an upgraded model, the 40-695. The difference in the new model is the upper arm locks in place when raised while changing from one interior cut to another--that's a big plus. If you watch someone cutting with a 788, they have to lift the head and place a block under it to hold the arm up. Additionally, Delta has included a blade storeage compartment in the machine. From the few reviews of the 40-695, it's a feature few would care about or use. The street price is $499 complete with stand and light. All in all, it's still 95% the old Dewalt DW788 machine, and that's about the most popular scroll saw that has been on the market. There are more expensive machines being offered, but the Delta can be bought locally, and serviced locally--that is a huge consideration. Cheaper saws will make the blade go up and down, but do little to make a person want to use them.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
I'll post just to echo the advice above, start with a Dewalt 788 or better. I did a cheap Craigslist saw and immediately realized I had wasted my time looking and money buying. Fortunately, I was able to turn it around on Craigslist for the same price. The delicate type of work a scrollsaw performs requires it to be precise and balanced enough to cut straight and not vibrate the blade and work piece.

RickC

New User
Rick
sawman101;426977...The difference in the new model is the upper arm locks in place when raised while changing from one interior cut to another--that's a big plus. If you watch someone cutting with a 788 said:
Dewalt did make an add-on that would hold the arm up (Dewalt Support arm) that really makes a lot of difference. You can also rig something up using a bungie cord, yourself, too. (An example). Again - it will come down to how many inside cuts you will need to make. Funny thing is - once you use a good saw, you will tackle more projects with those cuts, and the ease of swapping blades will become more of an issue.

And again, all things being equal, should you be able to squeeze a DW-788 out of your budget, that is what I would heartily recommend. But if you can't at this time, start budgeting to get one or something of comparable quality.

For what it is worth, Amazon has them listed: Amazon Dewalt DW788 as does the Grizzley site (here)

RoyWarren

New User
Roy
Adam,

Don't buy the stand if you buy the DeWalt. I have one that I am not using that you can have for free, and that should save you a little money.

I have a different set up and have no use for the stand.

Roy

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I love my old Craftsman contractor series 20", but I changed the top blade holder out for a tool less type (part for a Ryobi 18" fit it with a minor mod). I echo advice about staying away from the pinned blade models, which is easy to do these days; most seem to have tool less plain blade holders even at the low end. Pythagoras sez you need a 17" or more saw to go corner to corner on a 1' square or from the corner to the middle of a 2' workpiece. Variable speed is important, but I would be okay with one of the old Deltas that required a belt change. The DeWalt gets more owner praise than any other IME. It is not cheap but is one of the least expensive higher end saws. I like iron; there are some good aluminum saws, but I like iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors