EM6000 - OK, so now what?

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Thanks to the excellent organization and hard work of our board and others, several of us came away from the picnic with some very nice raffle prices - thanks guys!
I won a gallon of Emtech EM6000 WB lacquer which is the perfect answer to a project I am wrapping up.
This is a spray on finish and I am an absolute no-nothing about spraying from a gun. We have a big box cheapy that my wife uses to spray ceramic glazes.
As a compatibility test, I brushed some on the several colors of acrylic paint that I used in the project and it flowed and leveled very nicely - but I want to spray it.
Has anyone used this? Any advice? I'm going to use it as-is and not add crosslinker since this is a low wear application.
Thanks

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have used (sprayed) enough of it that I bought a 5 gallon bucket last time (have 2 gallons left).
It sprays easily and levels well. I happen to know that others here also use this product too, but will anyone who wants to add comments do so on their own terms.

I have a small (10-20 gallon?) compressor and use a Spray-It LVLP gun (33000 I think the model is). The only issue I have had with the lacquer is that if (when?) I get the gun too close to the piece, the gloss level becomes inconsistent. I messaged with Jeff Weiss at Target Coatings about this issue, and he advised (my descriptive terms, not his) that it was user error (dummy!). He advised that keeping the gun at least 12" away (I think) generally solved user errors like that. Turns out he was right!

I have sprayed the clear version (non-pigmented) a bunch too - and that is my go to finish for table bases and low wear surfaces. Haven't had any issues with that clear product. I believe I have both the SG and Gloss versions on hand.

I am no spray expert, but with my limited skills and inexpensive tools I can get pretty decent results with these Target Coatings products. I am a BIG fan.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS