Elevating Work for Finishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
What do you all use to elevate your work off the bench when you're finishing it? Or do you just finish one side?

Just curious.

Thanks

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
I use the plastic painter's pyramids - got about 30 of them - and I think they work quite well. Usually there is only a small blemish left which is easily touched out with some 320 paper or 0000 steel wool.

C.

pviser

New User
paul
I have a few plastic painters' pyramids also, but I also have a 5 gallon bucket full of oak flooring shorts (roughly 3" X 3") with 2" sheet rock screws driven through and countersunk. When upside down on my work table with the screw points upward, they function just like the pyramids.

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
+1 on the painter's pyramid's but before I owned those I did the sheet rock screw through a scrap piece of wood as paul suggested and that worked as well. Depending on the weight of the project I'd occasionally grind the tip of the screw down a little with my dremel.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I have a few painters pyamids, but I find they tend to move around too easily. When you turn the work over, they aren't where you thought they would be! I like a three inch square of scrap plywood with a half dozen brads shot through it. They are a bit heavier and tend to stay put on the table. I use a 1" x 18 gauge nail. You can also glue on a piece of non-skid shelf liner for even more stability.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I pound a few nails through some scraps, flip them over and sit my work on that. If I'm worried about a small indent, then I might round over the tips with a file. Note that since I usually finish with shellac, any marks they might leave tend to disappear with application of subsequent coats. On the final coats, I don't put a wet side on the nails.

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
Has anybody used those bench cookies and subsequent cookie cones from Rockler?

I've got a set of the cookies (not the cones) Jeff, and they work well holding a piece still while sanding with an ROS or using a router. For them to work well you just have to make sure to keep the surfaces of the cookie mostly clear of dust or they don't "grip" as well. I don't use them for finishing very often because with the pyramids I can work on the second side while the first side is drying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS