Electrician for a 220 line in the garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Good morning all (well, right now it is, might be night when this is read :rotflm:)

I find myself in need of a new 25amp 220 line in the garage. It is actually going to go about 2 feet to the right of my breaker box.

While I could PROBABLY do this myself, I am a bit leary.

How much should this cost in the matthews area? Does anyone know of an electrician that does side jobs that would like a few bucks?

Any on this forum :D ?

Thanks!

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Not sure that I can tell you the price. Back when I needed the same, I lucked out with a NCWWer at the time being an electrician who came to help. I tossed him nice tip, but he really was doing it in a "pay it forward" manner.

As for getting the 220 ... if I were you, don't get just one. Chances are you will need more, and you get to pay it all over again just to get someone out. You may want to consider running a couple around the shop, or possibly hung from the ceiling (a cheaper option usually)

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Not sure that I can tell you the price. Back when I needed the same, I lucked out with a NCWWer at the time being an electrician who came to help. I tossed him nice tip, but he really was doing it in a "pay it forward" manner.

As for getting the 220 ... if I were you, don't get just one. Chances are you will need more, and you get to pay it all over again just to get someone out. You may want to consider running a couple around the shop, or possibly hung from the ceiling (a cheaper option usually)

That is good advice, when I find someone I will see what they think. I am afraid that it would be cost prohibitive to get anywhere, the whole garage is already drywalled. I do have another one already, for the tablesaw. The band saw is dual-wire, and is currently 110.

HickoryFire

New User
David
If you only need the receptacle a foot or so from the panel, you or the electrician can open the panel, use one of the many pre-cut knockout holes on the side to extend the circuit wire to the next stud bay. Once you are in the next stud bay, you can use a surface mounted "Wire-mold" box to install the receptacle. Then if you need additional outlets later, you can install "Wire-mold"(Wire-mold is a brand name for a surface mounted "Flat" conduit, generally more appealling than the round pipe) along the surface of the wall or up the the wall to the ceiling and add receptacles as needed.
As far as needing a 25amp, 220v receptacle; you will have to install 10 gauge wire for a 25amp circuit. 10 gauge wire is actually rated for 30amps, so I would recommend you install a 30 amp breaker to protect it. This will also eliminate many of the breaker trips that may happen. Just keep in mind that the breaker is there to protect the Wire from overcurrent damage. The item (tool) you plug in, will have it's on built-in overcurrent protection. The wire and receptacle is what you are protecting with the breaker.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Here is what I would do if I didn't want to wire it myself- Do as much work ahead of time as possible to save on paid or donated labor-

Figure out your electrical needs or dream what you would like them to be. Remove the cover from your breaker box to see how many free breaker slots you have. Remember a 220V breaker takes two slots. You may need a sub-panel. Then plan a layout for additional 110V and 220V receptacles around the garage/shop.

Remove a 6" wide strip of drywall around the garage just below the height of your intended outlets. Use a 5/8" to 3/4" spade bit and drill a hold sideways through the middle of each stud. If you have a doorway in the way, you may need to go up and over- hopefully you have jack studs above the header.

Now you are ready for an electrician, North Carolina Woodworker member with electrical knowledge, etc. to easily wire in your new outlets. You could even mount the boxes ahead of time. That will save on labor cost if you hire and electrician.

You can then buy broken sheets of wallboard from the big box stores for next to nothing to repair the wallboard- it is a garage after all.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Hey Jamie,

I recently had a single 220V receptacle w/ (2)-30A chord ends installed in my garage to run my table saw/ jointer & DC. The chord end option was recommended by the electrician I hired to do the work, and it's worked out great for my use. My garage is finished as well so there was a little fishing involved to get the wiring from the breaker on the same wall, but opposite side of the garage up & above the rafters & back down. That being said, I believe the grand total, materials & labor, came to around $200, YMMV.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I just put 220 in my garage. It is hard to estimate the cost without knowing more details.

A single circuit will require 2 slots in your panel. If you don't have 2 free you can buy double-up breakers to make room.

But as others have said I think you probably really want 2 220v circuits. Or at least I did :). One for dust collection and one for a tool (of course I want them both running at the same time, thus the 2 circuits).

I don't think it should be much over 150$ for a single outlet if you have the room for it in your panel.

Just for a data point: I added a new 90amp subpanel in my garage, 3 20amp 220v circuits,and one 110v circuit for ~630$ in materials and inspection cost. I probably could have done it for ~500 but I bought way too much wire (on purpose, a friend help me do it and I will give him the extra wire when he starts his own projects). I could have done it much cheaper but I really wanted the garage on a separate subpanel so I could de-energize it with one breaker. I have 4 kids under the age of 6 and don't want power on when I am not around!

Salem

jamie

jamie
Senior User
I just put 220 in my garage. It is hard to estimate the cost without knowing more details.

A single circuit will require 2 slots in your panel. If you don't have 2 free you can buy double-up breakers to make room.

But as others have said I think you probably really want 2 220v circuits. Or at least I did :). One for dust collection and one for a tool (of course I want them both running at the same time, thus the 2 circuits).

I don't think it should be much over 150$ for a single outlet if you have the room for it in your panel.

Just for a data point: I added a new 90amp subpanel in my garage, 3 20amp 220v circuits,and one 110v circuit for ~630$ in materials and inspection cost. I probably could have done it for ~500 but I bought way too much wire (on purpose, a friend help me do it and I will give him the extra wire when he starts his own projects). I could have done it much cheaper but I really wanted the garage on a separate subpanel so I could de-energize it with one breaker. I have 4 kids under the age of 6 and don't want power on when I am not around!

Salem

I thought about a subpanel, but there isn't enough wall space for one (and the main is in the garage anyway).

I always unplug my machines when not in use, but I do like that shutoff idea.

As far as the DC, I think that I want it to remain 110v for now, I want to be able to move it around.

I do know that I have room for two 220 lines in the panel-- one from the old spa, and one from the old location of the dryer. I think I will go ahead and use them both, and add two.

At least that gives me an option!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS