Electric motor repair shop needed

Dorm

New User
Dorm
I've been using my dad's vintage Sears Direct Drive 12" Commercial Table Saw for some time now but I'm having issues with the motor. I need to pull the motor and take it to a repair shop for a look-see. The issues appear to be either bad bearings or possibly a bent rotor shaft.

If someone knows of a reputable repair shop that does this type work I'd appreciate the specifics ... shop name and location, etc.

Much obliged ... Ciao

Dorm

Jim Roche

New User
jim
Not sure where you're located but if in the Triangle Area, Southern Electric Motor Company in Durham does good work and they're very knowledgeable about older motors. I've taken several motors to the, over the years.

Good Luck,
Jim

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Dorm there usedto be a shop on South Sauders near the Ray Price Dealership. Dont know if he is still there or not.

Dorm

New User
Dorm
Thanks guys ... aside from the sentimental value of the saw, the table saw is the workhorse of any small shop, so I need to get this back in the road.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
What exactly is it doing? If making a lot of noise it could be bearings.

Based on a couple experiences, I'd be surprised if they will work on it. I had a nice older model DeWalt radial arm which the motor was weak they said it had to be rewound, and it wasn't economically feasible as it had to be done by hand. Really hated to let it go. Another was 3HP bandsaw motor (induction motor) and told me buy a new motor (IOW they didn't want to work on it). Those were two different shops, you may have a different experience, but it seems they only want to work on real big stuff.

Long winded, but you may have to either buy a replacement motor or find an old saw cheap for parts.

No insult needed, but "commercial" and "direct drive" I had to smile........but sometimes "vintage" & "Dad's" is what's really important ;)

tijmt

Jared
User
Hi Dorm,

I second Southern Electric Motor Company in Durham. I see you are in Clayton so it would be an hour or so drive, but they have been great when I have worked with them!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Williams electric motors on Hilsboro St in Raleigh, just west of the fairgrounds. Replacing bearings is something you can do yourself. 6203 2-RS bearings, which is most likely what your motor has, can be had from Fastenall for around two bucks each. I've put one (6203 2-RS from Fastenal) in my daughter's car belt tensioner, and it now has over 300K miles on it. That speaks of the quality of their Chinese bearings. Never mind, you said Sears table saw. Their (Emerson made) motors had oilite bearings, not ball bearing.

Dorm

New User
Dorm
Thanks to all for your help and responses. I did talk with 'Tom' at Williams and based on their workload, it'd likely be a while before they could take a look at it.

In the meantime, I pulled the motor and took off the sidecover to see if dust might be the culprit. Sure enough, the box with the start capacitor and such gizmos packed full of dust. I think when it was turned upside down, this dust worked to short out something.

I thoroughly vacuumed out the box; cleaned the shaft and other light maintenance; clamped the motor to my bench; plugged it up and it ran. So I put it back in the frame, checked/set the alignment and it's worked fine since.

Thank again for your responses ... I know the day is coming when it'll likely have to be replaced, but it lives on for now :)

Ciao ... Dorm

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Thanks to all for your help and responses. I did talk with 'Tom' at Williams and based on their workload, it'd likely be a while before they could take a look at it.

In the meantime, I pulled the motor and took off the sidecover to see if dust might be the culprit. Sure enough, the box with the start capacitor and such gizmos packed full of dust. I think when it was turned upside down, this dust worked to short out something.

I thoroughly vacuumed out the box; cleaned the shaft and other light maintenance; clamped the motor to my bench; plugged it up and it ran. So I put it back in the frame, checked/set the alignment and it's worked fine since.

Thank again for your responses ... I know the day is coming when it'll likely have to be replaced, but it lives on for now :)

Ciao ... Dorm
The next time this happens, you already know how to fix the problem. Free lesson, and now you have experience.

Dorm

New User
Dorm
So, as it turns out, this has only lasted for a few weeks as the bearings actually went out last week. I've pulled the motor apart; disassembled it pulled the bearings. I'm looking to find (inches) replacement bearings locally ... Hoover 99203-625.

One thing - I cannot find the parts or info on the electronic brake parts. From the Sears site, there appears to be a brake "liner" and a brake "shoe" ... part no's: 63134 and 63137 for this model (113.29930) and the detailed dwg is the motor assembly. Whatever was in the motor pretty much disintegrated when I disassembled it, but the material looked like some sort of thin gasket paper or similar material.

I've tried searching for info on what the material might be, but after 3-4 hours thought it might be better to just ask and hopefully someone here can explain. I will call Southern Electric and perhaps they can explain as well. Thanks in advance ...

Ciao ... Dorm

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS