Ecogates

Status
Not open for further replies.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Anyone out there have any experience with using Ecogate blast gates for their DC? Anyone have any good methods for turning your DC on from remote locations such as when a machine powers up or a blast gate is opened?

How many folks out there are using cyclone style DC?

D L

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
insomniac said:
what's ecogate?

Its a computerized blast gate system that automatically opens the blast gate and turns on your DC whenever you turn one of you machines on. The system uses vibration sensors at each machine that sends a signal to open the gate and turn on the DC.

D L

[size=-1][/size]

dave_the_woodworker

New User
Update your profile with your name
I've got Ecogates on all my bigger machines. The greatest invention since sliced bread! With my old non-Ecogate system I was constantly leaving gates open and reducing the effectiveness of the DC system. This system automatically closes the gate and you never have to worry about it. If you've got the time and cash, by all means install them.

The only thing that you need to watch for is if you have a single to three phase converter on one or more of your machines. These are generally for 220 volt or higher systems. A lot of the better elecrically variable speed lathes (oneway, etc.) have them. The converters create a lot of electrical 'noise' that can trigger the Ecogate system. When I run my oscillating edge sander that has a converter on it the Ecogate system starts opening and closing gates randomly. Intersting to watch!

I use the Oneida cyclone collector. I've used the traditional Taiwanese 2 hp collectors in the past and the cyclone system is FAR better! Again, if you can afford the extra expense you will be pleased with it. And if you really want a first-class system that will last forever, use metal piping. I've used plastic in the past and metal is much nicer. No static problems and better air flow (less loss of 'sucking power' at the machine).

Dave

Phil

New User
Phil Capper
if you have an old type DC and don't want to pop for the big cyclone system go to cycloneseparators.com. I have one, it is fantastic .I just have the exhaust stuck out the window and absolutely nothing goes out the window no chips dust fine sawdust or anything it all ends up in the garbage can They were $139 but I think the price was raised recently to $165. well worth it.
Phil

Attachments

• tool sale 008.jpg
    tool sale 008.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 317

DavidF

New User
David
I actually dispensed with most of my fully piped DC system and went instead to a movable 4" flexible using the "fazlock" connectors from woodworkers supply. For 1 man, small shop where only one machine is going to on at a time it works well. I can also bring it over to the bench or the drill press as required.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Dave,

I have the same type of setup. I am currently running an Oneida 2hp Cyclone with metal ductwork (designed by Oneida) to all my major machines. I also have Ecogates installed but I have been having some trouble with the system. About the only machine I couldn't get the vibration sensor to work on was my Unisaw. I could never find a good source for picking up vibrations so I am going to switch to a toroidal sensor for that machine. The other issue I have is that the small glass fuse keeps burning out (twice, I am using the correct one for 220V). I tried to buy some replacement fuses locally but no one seems to carry them.

Have you ever had any problems with your fuse burning out? If so, what did you determine the cause to be?

D L

dave_the_woodworker

New User
Update your profile with your name
I've not had any problem with fuses blowing. I anticipated I would, however, and bought some extras. I'm not sure where I bought them, however. Probably one of the electronic parts outlets like Digi-Key.

Most machines are easy to get enough vibration for the sensor to operate reliably. But my bandsaw is right 'on the hairy edge.' Sometimes it cuts out. But I haven't gone as far as switching to one of the toroidal sensors (let me know how that works). One problem I have seen is the glue on the velcro attachment letting go. When that happens I wrap a ratchet-type plastic tie around the motor and sensor. Works great.

One other thing I did was to hook up a cheap X-10 wireless remote to the Ecogate controller. I have some manual blast gates that I open and then turn on the system using the wireless remote control. I have 10-20 foot hoses connected to these gates and use them as big shop-vacs.

Dave

Ryan

New User
Ryan Sellers
If you can't afford the ecogate system, a $10 part will make your life alot easier. It is a remote control for the dust collector, also known as a Christmas light remote. It can be found at Lowes or HD. All you do is plug it into the wall, plug the DC into the unit and it is ready to go! My DC uses a 120 volt, 1.5 hp Marathon industrial motor, and it hasn't burnt the remote control out yet (its been about a year).I keep the remote attached to my shop apron, and so far this system has worked great for me!

R

rickc

You can also pick up a 220v version at Woodworker's Supply. Comes with a couple of remotes. Don't remember what it cost exactly, seems like it was around $30 or so.

Ryan

New User
Ryan Sellers
Haha yea, those Christmas light remotes don't work all that great with 220v DCs! :5shocking

R

rickc

Oh, but it is tough to beat for excitement! :oops: A classic example of one's mind reading one thing, and one's mouth (or in this case - fingers) responding to another.

I got a 220v dust collector, and have it plugged into the control. Couple of remotes within easy reach, and works pretty good. Of course still have to manually open/close gates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS