Easy question for dust collection

dazart

New User
Steve
I bought the Central Machinery dust collector from Harbor Freight a little while ago and it's been a huge upgrade from my shop vac. I've seen lots of videos on how to improve it like making it a 2 cycle, upgrading the top filter, etc. Those are all things I'd like to do in the future.

Anyhow, this weekend I filled up the bottom bag. Where do people buy replacement bags? Or should I empty the bag into the trash or something and reuse the bag? The second option sounds like it will get messy fast.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I bought plastic see thru bags from Klingspor to fit my machine and emptied them somewhere to save buying new bags as often. The wood makes ok mulch for some folks as long as there's no walnut in it. Since I have woods on my property, I put my shavings there instead of the trash.

dazart

New User
Steve
That'd be nice. I live in the suburbs with a small yard with one baby tree in the front and one baby tree in the back. :)

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
I reused the original bag for years but broke down a couple of years ago and bought transparent bags from Klingspor. Either way works fine.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I too keep reusing the see through plastic bag that came with my HF DC. I bought replacement bags at Klingspors, but darned if I can find them now. I'll just have to buy some more, then I'll find those pesky things. The bags are super durable and will last for many fillings if you aren't too rough with them; mine developed a small tear, so I patched it with Gorilla Tape, and it lasted for a bunch more go-rounds. I've heard of several folks who dump the bags into their trash bins. One man wrote that he enjoyed watching the trash truck lift the bin and dump it, and a cloud of dust arose as the contents went into the truck. I'm fortunate to have woods and a large back lawn, and only one neighbor, so I can freely dispose of saw dust wherever the ground could use some filling and levelling.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Right now I'm using standard transparent yard waste bags, I just couldn't bring myself to pay for the thicker ones. As long as I'm careful when removing a (mostly) full bag, I can reuse it a few times, at least. We're trying to minimize the amount of plastic we throw away, so I usually will let it fill up to 2/3rds capacity or so to make that easier. I haven't torn one yet and haven't had any issues with them getting pierced by splinters blowing around in the bag. I have a couple of low spots in the corner of the yard that are slowly getting filled in with saw dust and old soil from the planters.

wooduser

New User
Lecil
I am also of the more frugal type except use a double the bag and then dispose of them each time in the trash can. I get the clear bags from Lowe’s above 1 mm or so thick. The doubles are to prevent blow outs.

ste6168

New User
Mike
I reuse the bags. When the bag gets full, I take it off, and transfer the sawdust in a 55gal black trash bag and toss it in the trash. I reuse the bags as long as possible, but they also seem to get a tear or a few holes after a while. I bought a 5pack of replacement bags on Amazon for like $15. Far too expensive to toss every time, but I don't mind tossing one every few months when it gets work.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I reuse too. The only thing I do different is I put the bag inside a 55 gallon trash can sitting under the collector. Disconnect the bag and pull the trash can out and dump. Helps protect the bag from punctures since the sides are never exposed

smurg

New User
Marty
I bought plastic see thru bags from Klingspor to fit my machine and emptied them somewhere to save buying new bags as often. The wood makes ok mulch for some folks as long as there's no walnut in it. Since I have woods on my property, I put my shavings there instead of the trash.

I wouldn't put it around trees or near any bushes. From what I've read, it will absorb the nitrogen out of the soil. Makes good compost though.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS