Eastern Red Cedar? And price opinions

JCAlton

New User
Cody Alton
Saw someone local selling this rough cut cedar for $200 for the lot.

Looks to be eastern red to me but I'm horrible at wood recognition. Especially when rough cut.

Says 1x6x8, some larger, some smaller. Roughly 40 boards total
Probably a dumb question but is that a fair price?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200807-225728_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200807-225728_Facebook.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 246
  • Screenshot_20200807-225730_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200807-225730_Facebook.jpg
    777.7 KB · Views: 223

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Eastern red it is. Roughly $1.25 per board foot might be fair if thats the particular species your project calls for. As an impulse buy, not so much. Eastern red has a lot of waste and that batch looks to be log run which mean both good and bad will be in there.

JCAlton

New User
Cody Alton
It is, someone's grandad cut it a few years back and its been sitting.

No project in particular, just to have and use as projects come along. I would like to make a cedar chest, had one when I was little

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Maybe its just me, but I don't like working with that stuff. It smells good for the short term, but it is soft and tends to split.
That pile of wood will eat up a lot of storage space.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
If you want the wood for mocking up and or making some things but not a need, then then them it is worth 100 bucks to you, if they do not have any other offers you are it, the only one. Like Bob said, Cedar is a high waste material, you can upwards of 25-30% not project worthy material

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
Offer 150 and se it they accept it. I made a number of cedar planters and other outdoor stuff a few years ago with a similar purchase.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I would like to make a cedar chest, had one when I was little

Eastern Red Cedar makes a nice liner for a chest but I wouldn't use it as a primary wood for the chest construction. This chest is lined with 3/4" t ERC boards-a nice odor inside. The second chest is solid ERC built in Tennessee about 1930. It had lost most of the odor but that was restored on the interior with several coats of cedar oil.

46716-bc75042576801f6e1f9cfa998d110e1e.png

_home_ncwoodwo_public_html_pp_data__2708_P8180149.png

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
FWIW I purchased rough cut eastern red cedar for $0.25 /BF (yes that's right) from a sawyer a few years back.
Not saying that should be your price but a little perspective

JCAlton

New User
Cody Alton
I offered 100 expecting him to come back with 150 or 175. No one haggles these days. Seems people take offense if you try and negotiate price anymore. He had been responding up to then. After that not a peep.

Oh well, I'll check back in a few days, he's already had it posted over a week.

JCAlton

New User
Cody Alton
About how many board feet is the whole lot? Rough cut ERC is often about $2-2.50/bf so $200 may be reasonable for about 100 bf.

I dont know and neither does he. 40 boards, he measured one and it was roughly 1x6x8, said there are some smaller and some larger.

He wants to sell the whole lot specifically so he doesn't have to measure it all.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A 1 x 6 x 8' board = 4bf x 40 boards = 160bf total on average.

$200/160bf = $1.25/bf.

That's not a bad price. It certainly is a fair price in my opinion.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS