E. Red Cedar Finish Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Folks: If any of you have experience with a good finish for red cedar for the outdoor environment, I'd appreciate your suggestions/experience. I have some red cedar swings we are building and several people have asked how to preserve the "cedar look" and what type finish to use.

Thanx.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You might try Waterlox Marine finish -
https://www.waterlox.com/desktopmodules/fathomecom/Catalog/ProductDetail.aspx?ct=27
I haven't used that particular formulation, but I have used other Waterlox products and have been very happy with their results. This is a ERC box finished with Waterlox Original S/F
CopyofCedarbox009.jpg

The nice thing about their finishes is that they are easily repairable unlike a poly finish. The biggest key is to use something with UV blockers that will help prevent the color from fading in an outdoor environment.
Dave:)

Bryan S

Bryan
I've used General Finishes Outdoor Oil that I saw Toolferone had recomended and have been pleased with the results so far. Waterlox marine looks like it would do a good job.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Thanks Bryan. Where do you buy them locally? I live an hour from Charlotte and an hour and change from Greensboro. Thanx.

Bryan S

Bryan
Maybey a local paint dealer can get it for you, I would check with a few of them first. If not It can be shipped to you. I had a few customers in Albemarle and made regular trips there, but you are kind of close to nothing there.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
but just $60.34 for Waterlox Original, unless you want the VOC compliant version, then just $107.50

DaveO

New User
DaveO
A little goes a long way..... actually it has a bad tendency to gel once opened, so I would recommend not buying more than you need. A quart will do a couple of swings...hopefully

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS