DW788 Scroll saw find

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
So, I was Meandering through Craig's last night and ran across a Dewalt Scroll saw..., 100 bucks. My craftsman crapped out last year. Anyway, I was the 1st to call and met with the guy this morning...... Keeping it short it was his dad's and he didn't use it, sold it to me for a 100 buckaroos!

DW 788 even had the original price tag on it though it was faded out and could not see the price. Not sure it cut more than 10 ft of cut, it is basically new. Very happy

Attachments

• DW788 (1).jpg
    DW788 (1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 118
  • DW788 (2).jpg
    DW788 (2).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 149
  • DW788 (3).jpg
    DW788 (3).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 127
  • DW788 (4).jpg
    DW788 (4).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 115

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
ummm even I would have bought that, and I don't generally use a scroll saw. Looks like you picked up a stand too!

Reactions: Oka

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Loose the hold down and blade guard. Then get yourself an on/off type foot switch because the on/off switches on those have a high failure rate. Look on the motor and see if you have a Type 1 or Type 2. The Type 1's were made in North America with better quality than the chinses made Type 2. If it is a Type 1 it is probably worth up to $400 in the states. A Type 2 $200-$300. If you are mechanical here is a great maintainece video: DeWalt 788 Scroll Saw Service UPDATE! - Bing video

• Thanks

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
IT IS A TYPE 1!!!
For $100!!!
THIEF!!! LOL - you are REALLY going to LOVE that saw, even if you use it infrequently...
Oh, and listen to Scott's advice - he knows what he is doing...

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Yes indeed it is a Type 1, you scored a good saw Oka! It should operate and perform like a Mercedes Benz compared to a Model T Craftsman. If it makes a knocking or rapping sound, that is easily remedied, just holler out and we'll guide you in the adjustment. Good luck and happy sawdusting!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Bruce you are correct it Is a type one...... cool. Most of what I am going to be cutting with this saw is 1" thick+/- hardwood -Teak, Sapele, Maple, & others, so ........ #7-#9 blades skip tooth best ?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bruce you are correct it Is a type one...... cool. Most of what I am going to be cutting with this saw is 1" thick+/- hardwood -Teak, Sapele, Maple, & others, so ........ #7-#9 blades skip tooth best ?
Yes. I recommended Pegas blades.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes. I recommended Pegas blades.
Watching...
@Oka says - he is scrolling 1" thick material - are the " #7-#9 blades skip tooth" best as he asks or is there something better?

• Thanks

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS