Dustroyer table saw dust guard - now p and running! NCWW discount

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Well, it took six weeks from the time I had the idea, but the website is up and we're ready to get going. I don't have as many model templates as I would like, but I figure we can add them as we go.

There's a ton of saws up there that I need a pattern for, so if you want a free one just click on the link included when you go to your saw.

The website is http://www.dustroyer.com. Enter the coupon code "NCWW1" for 15% off. On top of the discount, I'm making a $1 donation to NCWW for each Dustroyer sold with that coupon code.

Any locals who want to swing by and pick it up themselves just lput a note on the order, and I'll refund your shipping charge.

Thanks again for the folks who helped me get started with this, and to DaveO for permission to make this thread!

Also, I'll be eternally grateful to those of you who pass this on to other woodworkers you know outside our area...still thinking about how to market / spread the word!

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
That is a great looking demo, I will be ordering one soon for the Ridgid TS3650!!

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Re: Dustroyer table saw dust guard

Eric-
Nice product and website. The video is well done also. When I first watched the video and saw dust escaping out of the back of the saw, I thought "that thing doesn't work very well". Then I realized that the first cut was made without the Dustroyer in place! :eusa_doh:

If you don't mind me providing a suggestion, you might consider putting a disclaimer on your website that the blade guard has been removed for clarity and that it (and all safety equipment) should always be used (blah, blah, blah). I'm sure you can find this boilerplate language somewhere on the web. It didn't really concern me that you didn't have the blade guard in place (and maybe it can't be used when cutting a dado on your saw) but there may be some people who would make an issue of it.

Your pricing seems very reasonable to me and I wish you luck with your new venture. Since the design is fairly simple (as it should be), I only hope people don't purchase one so they can copy your design and then return it to you under your (in my mind) generous guarantee/return policy. I remember many years ago seeing a sign at woodworker's booth at craft fair that said something to the effect of "Yes, I know you could make this yourself, but will you?".

Badabing

New User
Joe
Hi Eric,
I can't believe you got all this together so quickly! The site looks great and the product is impressive. If I still had my Grizzly contractor saw, I would order a Dustroyer in a heartbeat. Nice job man!

I would like to make one or two suggestions...on the homepage where you describe the product, you should mention what it is made out of and that it is laser cut to exact specifications for each model saw. I am assuming you cut it with a laser and used some good quality material. Both those facts will let folks know that they probably could not duplicate it themselves for much less than it costs to buy. Other than that, it's perfect (in my opinion) :icon_thum

Good luck Eric!!!

Marlin

New User
Marlin
Don't forget to patent/copyright the idea and name.

If not the the Dustrouer will be onsale at Harbor Freight for $9.99 next week. :wink_smil

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Thanks for all the well wishing guys!

Christopher; actually there is disclaimer language on each saw model page, since I offer the option to order it customized to how you like to work (i.e. any combination of using splitter/belt guard). Also, the disclaimer text directly links to the conditions of use. Lee, who is famous for his shark guard, let me use it and it leaves little room for doubt about who's liable should you cut something, ahem, other than wood with your saw!

Joe; good point...It's made from 1/4" acrylic, and I should probably note that somewhere. Glad you think it was fast...six weeks seemed like forever to me. Website took up at least half that time since I haven't created a new one in 5 years or so, and forgot how much work is involved. Also had my regular work during that time to keep the doors open, so really I only put maybe two weeks solid into it working nights and weekends. Hope it pays off! Oh, I'm off for a nice nap now that it's done :D

Marlin: Patents and copyright are *expensive*, and unfortunately worthless unless you have the money to back them up with litigation...which I don't. Guess I'll just hope for the best, and if they turn out to be a hit I'll make the investment. There is a mild barrier to entry in that you have to have patterns for the back of each saw, and that takes a while to put together.

One thing I am going to do is change the hanging reminder tag from clear acrylic to bright emergency orange...will serve as a better visual reminder. That said, most people just reach down and start cranking, so really the physical sensation of a 2"x4" piece of acrylic banging against your hand is what reminds you the most. BTW the hanger tag is very effective as a reminder...I made the dang thing and I still forget it's on there. The reminder tag has worked for me on many occasions already :thumbs_up:mrgreen:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think you have a great product, and marketed it well. I like the idea of a tag, don't forget to put your web site address on it.

Also, do you make a general purpose tag I can wrap around my wrist that says "Don't do anything STUPID"? I could really use one of those.

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
The magical phrase "pat. pend." whether or not you're chasing the patent.
Big companies use it, why not you?

Heh - a friend had something similar on his delta saw - but he used velcro instead of magnets - and he forgot to remove it before tilting the blade once.

He may even buy one of these. I would, but I have to get a saw to put them on first.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Marlin: Patents and copyright are *expensive*, and unfortunately worthless unless you have the money to back them up with litigation...which I don't.

disclaimer - IANAL nor am I an expert in this area. But I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express a while back :>

There is no money involved in a copyright - and there are no copyrights for designs anyway. The act of creating something that is copyrightable establishes the copyright - the moment you write a song, for instance, it is protected under copyright law. Your product documentation and website should all reaffirm your copyright for those materials (as your site already does).

I think the OP probably meant trademark. Trademarks are also free. You can begin establishing your trademark by adding TM symbol every time you use the product name and/or logos. Registered trademarks do cost money.

BTW - great product idea. I suggest that you add "without dustroyer" / "with dustroyer" captions before the first 2 parts of the demo. Otherwise, great way to demo the product.

Chris

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
The magical phrase "pat. pend." whether or not you're chasing the patent.

From USPTO:

"1. What do the terms “patent pending” and “patent applied for” mean?

A. They are used by a manufacturer or seller of an article to inform the public that an application for patent on that article is on file in the United States Patent and Trademark Office. The law imposes a fine on those who use these terms falsely to deceive the public."

Not gonna mess with that :rotflm:

Still working on marketing...Bill Pentz put a link up on his dust collection page, which if you haven't seen it, is the holy bible of dust collection know-how! Sent emails to a couple other companies that make and sell complimentary dust collection stuff...will wait to hear back. Looked into selling on Amazon but they want an arm, leg and firstborn. Hopefully a little word of mouth will get it going over the next several months!

Still need plenty of templates. If any of ya'll are within 20 minutes of downtown raleigh, I'll come measure your saw myself if it's on the list!

eyekode

New User
Salem
Good idea, I want one!

I have a Jet JWTS-10JF. I do not have the belt guard but may be able to find it...

Anyway I can send you the dimensions if you want and I will pay anyway. I was thinking about how to do this and I like your idea with the magnets.

Salem

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Hi Eyecode; sent you a PM. Pretty sure your Jet is the same as mine, but with a fence variation. So, I probably already have the template for it.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I met Eric today in his shop in downtown Raleigh. I don't have my "Dustroyer" yet due to laser issues but I always find it interesting to tour shops :).

I should be getting mine in the mail sometime soon.

Thanks for the hospitality Eric!
Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS