Dust Separator

Patrick Rose

New User
pwrww
I researched and bought two of the below remote switches and it was an immediate game changer
Will be using the Amazon Prime on one of those. probably wont order it until I get the separater here and set up first. But will be at the top of my order list for sure. I do hate having to walk back and forth to turn the vac on.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I cannot praise the Oneida company and their Dust Deputy 2.5 enough. There's no room in my shop for a whole-shop, fixed vacuum system. For 5 years I used a large (6.5 hp) Ridgid shop vac, installed 4" to 2.5" reducers on all my machine tools, and rolled it around from tool to tool. I finally got fed up with constantly cleaning the vac filter, especially when using sanders.

I contacted Oneida when the DD 2.5 first came out and was told "this will revolutionize your life". It did! I figure my suction power got boosted by 25-30%, and I expect to clean out the vac filter maybe once a year. I got the 10 gallon steel bucket and can go 2 months before it fills up, except when I do a lot of planing. I mounted the vac and cyclone/collector on a cart (it was a fun weekend project), and just move it from tool to tool. When I finish using a tool, I just stick a crevice tool on the system and clean up any leakage around the tool. There is significantly less leakage than there used to be.

prototype3a

Drew
User
I wonder if that wireless remote thing could be hacked to control a NEMA contactor to switch the power for the shopvac. I have my doubts that, that "10 Amp" rated device would last switching a power hungry shopvac. Maybe a contactor with a 110v coil to keep it simple?

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
I wonder if that wireless remote thing could be hacked to control a NEMA contactor to switch the power for the shopvac. I have my doubts that, that "10 Amp" rated device would last switching a power hungry shopvac. Maybe a contactor with a 110v coil to keep it simple?
The fosman remote is rated for 15 amps….I run two rigid shop vacs (not usually both at the same time but occasionally) off a dedicated 15 amp circuit and haven’t had a problem or tripped a breaker.

prototype3a

Drew
User
My shop vac measures an average of 1300w. I would not run two of them off a single circuit.

I've also been suspicious of those tool / vac auto start devices and vacuums that have them built it. I would not plug something like a miter saw into them and the combined load is likely not safe for a single circuit.

Specs on the Fosman say..

Single 125VAC outlet - 15A Max
125VAC, 60HZ, 15A, Resistive
125VAC, 60HZ, 15A, General purpose
125VAC, 60HZ, 10A / 1250W,Tungsten
125VAC, 60HZ, 1/2HP TV-5

Which to me reads like a lot of chinesium.

The other day, I was assuming the Fosman had some kind of small relay inside it and today I realized that, that was a silly thought. It is much more likely to be using some kind of mosfet or IGBT to switch the power.

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
My shop vac measures an average of 1300w. I would not run two of them off a single circuit.

I've also been suspicious of those tool / vac auto start devices and vacuums that have them built it. I would not plug something like a miter saw into them and the combined load is likely not safe for a single circuit.

125VAC, 60HZ, 1/2HP TV-5

The other day, I was assuming the Fosman had some kind of small relay inside it and today I realized that, that was a silly thought. It is much more likely to be using some kind of mosfet or IGBT to switch the power.
Drew- plugging two things into the same circuit and having them pull more current than the overcurrent protection allows would certainly trip the breaker but I don’t know that I would say it’s not safe. If you a pulling too much current on a circuit and the breaker is tripping then the safety feature of overcurrent protection is working to keep you safe. If this happened then it would be real nuisance and therefore I wouldn’t advise it. However, I mostly run one of my shop vacs at a time but on the rare occasion I run them both off the same circuit….it has not pulled too much current and tripped the breaker. As for the Fosman remote switch….I have two and they work great for me on my vacs. I needed to call them to ask about reprogramming one of the remotes and they are based out of California and I got right through to one of their engineers. My advice was for Patrick to consider this. My advice to you would be don’t buy it if you think it is unsafe or made in china or don’t think it would work for you.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I saw the HF ( Bauer) cyclone. Tiny and flimsy. That does not say if it works or not, just my observation.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member

125VAC, 60HZ, 1/2HP TV-5

No, valid technical specifications based on inductive and cold filament loads.

Patrick Rose

New User
pwrww
So an update, I got the Dust Deputy in yesterday (day late from expected, but probably the shipping company not Oneida). I didn't have time to put it all together and I am leaving for DC today and wont be back until late Wednesday night. SO I will get it put together over next weekend and try to get some pics up.
As for the remote power switch, I will try to get that ordered this week if I catch a break from meetings.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Please explain.
@tvrgeek is absolutely correct. An inductive load's current and voltage are out of phase, depending on the inductance. Large motors have a large inductance. One must derate the current capacity based on the out of phase voltage (or out of phase current, depending on how you look at it) caused by that large inductance. As for cold filament, the resistance of a cold filament can be substantially lower than that of a hot filament - thus causing what is called "inrush current". Remember that I = E/R. The R is low because the filament is cold, there is a high inrush current. This is why traditional filament bulbs almost always "pop" when turned on. 100% correct and not "Chinese speak".

prototype3a

Drew
User
Would the ...

125VAC, 60HZ, 1/2HP TV-5

Not apply to the shop vac application? Seems to be saying 1/2 Horsepower motor. I have no idea what "TV-5" references

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
TV-5 means the switch can withstand 5 amps constant current and something like 80 amps inrush current - this is from distant memory, so you'll have to look up the exact number.
1/2 HP non-reactive is 373 watts which is about 3 amps. so taking into account the reactive nature of a motor, they are conservatively saying 1/2 HP with an inrush current of about 80 amps.

Echd

C
User

I run a 2HP DC off a chinesium Christmas light remote switch. I bet it will work just fine.

Patrick Rose

New User
pwrww
You cant really see the vac that is behind the table saw, but this is the temporary setup for the dust deputy. With a 55 gallon metal drum it is going to be tough to make it mobile, but I am working on that and we will see where that goes.

Attachments

• Dust Separator Setup.jpg
    Dust Separator Setup.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 59

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
You cant really see the vac that is behind the table saw, but this is the temporary setup for the dust deputy. With a 55 gallon metal drum it is going to be tough to make it mobile, but I am working on that and we will see where that goes.
Mount some casters to the bottom of the drum. 5 casters will be more stable than 3 or 4.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Uline has a rolling base for 55 gal drums. Pricey, IMHO

Patrick Rose

New User
pwrww
I'm thinking that I want the vac to follow in tow, so I will most likely build a cart for the two of them, I just want it to be multi functional since it will take up quite a bit of space. I might make it like a sanding station for the palm sander and hand sanding with the vac and drum being on the backside of the cart. But I am still working out the ideas right now.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I'm thinking that I want the vac to follow in tow, so I will most likely build a cart for the two of them, I just want it to be multi functional since it will take up quite a bit of space. I might make it like a sanding station for the palm sander and hand sanding with the vac and drum being on the backside of the cart. But I am still working out the ideas right now.
You can put the vacuum on top of the cart to save real-estate.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS