Dust Masks

Status
Not open for further replies.

richlife

New User
Rich
I'm putting in here a response that I made to Andy (CaptA) in his developing thread on dust collection: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?p=491644#poststop

"And since you said, "My biggest concern is my lungs. I simply do not breathe as well as I used to." I also urge you to always use an N95 rated dust mask also (they will have two head straps, not just the one elastic strap that the basic and useless, nuisance mask has). My lungs are very sensitive due to earlier abuse from a college summer job (coal dust), early life smoking and asthma. If I forget my mask, I will end up coughing for a couple of days after time in the shop creating dust."

I think dust masks (and hearing protection for that matter), merits constant discussion just for that reason. And I've learned more that might be helpful. After a major asthma attack last year that had me in the emergency room, I found myself researching again about asthma to bring myself up to date. (It had been years since my last serious attack and I caused this one myself by stopping the daily doses of the prophylactic hydrocortisone spray -- it's pretty expensive even with insurance. What I had failed to account for is my increasing sensitivity with age and the various things like woodworking that my triggerasthma if I don't maintain the daily prevention.)

Asthma triggers include dust, cold air, and (new news to me at the time) ozone. And that includes the ozone produced in my hot tub by the ozonator that helps keep the water safe. No wonder that (especially in winter) I tend to have asthma-like coughing spells every time I use the hot tub! That discovery sent me off looking for activated charcoal face masks (like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Charcoal-Acti...qid=1410282244&sr=8-2&keywords=charcoal+masks
) .

Activated charcoal filters out ozone. And yes, for use in the hot tub -- the hot tub is a major help in managing pain from my aching muscles and joints. The mask works and I don't have to give up the benefits of the hot, massaging water!

But that got me thinking about how those masks might work in my shop because they are also N95 rated. I have found they are great and that I much prefer them to the bulbous white masks that you get at Lowes or wherever. To me, they seem to work better. As a side benefit, they also help with the minor fumes from shop finishes and chemicals that we may have cause to use. (Though, it you are doing major work with chemicals or fumes, you should be wearing a true chemical mask. Available from Lowes or Amazon for less than $25.) Those fumes as well as most aerosol sprays can be another asthma trigger.

I also use these masks for mowing my new lawn and for working with mulch or other dust/pollen generators -- again, asthma triggers.

For those like me who wear a smaller hat size (no one can accuse me of being big-headed :eek:), the masks all fit better if you tie off a small loop in the straps to shorten them.

I hope this might help someone else.

Rich

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I prefer this one: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...=3294529207+5022986+5928575+4294936928&rt=rud

I have used them for years through work and home. Only down side is eye protection. Even with safety glass or cheap goggles (which fogs easy), you can still get dust in your eyes. One of these days, I will be getting: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...=3294361910+3294529207+8690968+5551860&rt=rud

Good thing about them is you have disposable cartridges that can handle dust, organic vapors and such. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...=3294355784+3294529207+8690968+5549793&rt=rud
If you look at all of the options in filtering, you can cover pretty much anything that can be handled minus CBR (Chem/Bio/Rad). So with a full face mask, you are safe in the workshop with eyes and resp.
If I remember right, you have to get fitted by an trained individual to utilize in a OSHA compliant environment, but most of the time that doesn't apply in an individual workshop. You can buy them right off amazon for $13 for half and around $130 full. Cartridges are cheap under $10 for a set. You can also stack cartridges at use a outer dust and inner vapor filter with a small plastic adapter they sell. Tons of options. Full is expensive, but I think it would be a worthwhile investment for your health. I wish I had them the other day when running the stroke sander. It's just hard to contain all the dust that think makes (even with one 4" hose at each end and 3HP double bagger pulling) and the design doesn't have optimal dust collection in mind.

BWSmith

New User
BW
Got one today at SW........haven't even looked at it,a 35% sale.They charge me for paint strainers,still trying to figure that out?Threw a bunch of those on the bill as well.We are so blessed with having a serious finishing dept. here,it comes with work/effort.....and can say,I'm probably the most happy when in there spraying.We're seriously considering a "looped" track system for moving parts,it's that cool.Cheers,BW

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
For several years, I have used a respirator mask that I purchased through Grizzly Industrial and I have been very pleased with it. It has OSHA-compliant replaceable cartridges for Dust, Organic vapors and even acid gases. They are inexpensive and available in three sizes. I have never had problems with my glasses fogging up and wear mine whenever I am sanding with my ROS (also attached to a mini-cyclone and Shop Vac with HEPA filter) or applying finishes. I keep the cartridges in heavy duty ziplock bags to keep them dust-free when not in use. BTW, I also wear a set of Peltor ear cuffs as well since hearing is as important as breathing!

100_2934.JPG

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Agreed with hearing protection. I have some notable loss in my hearing due to work environment. I use cheap shooting muff from walmart and they will do enough to most of my machines. When it's not, I would not recommend buying excessively expensive versions, just add a set of foam plugs and you will be good to go. I recommend always using muffs as frequent use of plugs in a high dust environment can force dust down in your ear canal. Even if you use a new pair every time, your fingers will retain dust and the unprotected area around the plug will get dust build up. When removing and reinserting these into your ear, you can push dust in your ear. I find that having full muffs eliminate the entire issues and it's one less thing you have to worry about at a minimal cost. Using muffs and plugs isn't normally necessary.
With respect to fogging glasses:
-I use goggles with limited ventilation (built in to the goggles) in an unconditioned shop near the ocean. Humidity is high, temperatures vary and breath and sweat causes the majority of my issues. I cannot get away with loose fitting eye protection in my environment.
-Having used a full mask that is very well sealed, no air bound dust or projectile dust gets in. I can't say the same for goggles with the respect to air bound. (I would like to add context to my environment, dust collection is mostly for the purpose of removing the chips and larger dust particles and not for health reasons. When I run equipment for a notable period, there is a coat of dust on everything. There are more reasons than I would care to list as for the reason I am set up like this as I know it's not ideal.)

I would always recommend a full mask in a less than ideal dust collection set up because it affords the maximum protection for optic and resp. If a person can maximize their DC set-up then a full mask would not be necessary and a half mask would suffice more than adequately.

But to slightly change the discussion, a disposable filter type is far inferior to the silicone type half mask. Even in the higher grade models, fit is not comparable. Those types help, but do a overall insufficient job. The fit is problematic and will always allow particulate matter to pass around the fitment areas of the mask. They are better than nothing, but for roughly around 10-20 dollars, it's worth the price to get a half-mask.
I also prefer a full mask when spraying (which I haven't done much of lately) so I know that my eyes are protected from suspended spray particles which I find particularly irritating in my eyes (more so than the guy next to me in the spray room).

Bottom line: Get a half mask. I use 3M b/c they are tried and true and have experience with them. I am certain Grizzly's version is just as good based off of Rob's testimony and the standards for the industry are pretty stringent and uniform.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I have been using half respirator masks by North. They are silicone and (for me anyway) more comfortable than the 3m ones. All their filters screw in so it is a fast change between regular dust and charcoal cartridges. They have quite a selection aimed at dealing with many types of vapors.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Zach, I've also noticed the goggle issue. When I wear the respirator the goggles are pushed out just enough to allow annoying debris(no direct blows). Might try that 3m deal you linked.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
That Grizzly one looks pretty decent and I like how the cartridges screw on unlike the one I have which snap on.

Red

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I use a Dust Be Gone mask. I wear it all the time in the shop. I should probably wear a proper respirator, but the Dust Be Gone does noticeably help and it is comfortable enough that I don't mind wearing it. Somebody mentioned something about the best dust mask being the one that you will actually wear. I do own a 3M half mask respirator and I have worn it when applying finishes. Sticking your head inside a cabinet while wiping on shellac isn't much fun without a respirator.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Scott, that line says it well -"Remember the best dust mask you have is the one you use."

Thanks Rich, and everyone else.
The least I buy is an n-95 to wear when mowing and such. I have a decent 3m I wear when scrolling and some other close tasks, and the Trend AirPro for the lathe and sanding. They don't work unless you use them, and they don't work dirty or with clogged filters.
Both hearing and dust protection have been requisite when mowing, running weed eater, chainsaw, back back blower, and such for years. I've taken to using the hearing protection more in the shop than I used to.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
The 3-m are bayonet twist style. You align the filter, push in and twist lock in place. They are faster for changing out cartridges and the seal is as good a threaded style. Really it's preference and what you're used to. It's comparable to you like your bottled water with the normal cap and I like the snap top. In the end, we both get water out of the bottle.
That Grizzly one looks pretty decent and I like how the cartridges screw on unlike the one I have which snap on.

Red

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Just to clarify, the cartridges for the Grizzly Gerson respirators are a twist-lock style that are easy to install and remove.

Newboy

George
User
Richlife, I am not trying to "convert" you. But hand planes, scrapers, and saws do not make any dust. And the loudest noise is a quiet "swoosh".

Instead of trying to protect yourself from your technique, just change your technique.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
hand planes, scrapers, and saws do not make any dust.

While you do hear this statement get repeated a lot, I don't believe it is actually true. The saw would be the most obvious case to dispute, since it doesn't really operate any differently than it's powered equivalent, just runs at a lower speed.

richlife

New User
Rich
It's good to see the suggestions for dust mask alternatives as well as others. But how many of these dust masks would you wear in a hot tub? :gar-La;

Newboy, sorry but I've long been converted and use hand tools far more than most. But despite the noise, I still use power tools for bulk work and volume work.

My own comments: Foam ear plugs have the advantage of provide superior sound reduction -- I clean my ears when needed. :D

I also really like the full face mask for many reasons including the general lack of fogging proplems. One caution, the mask with plastic head bands that I got at Lowe's broke on the third use. (Being reluctant to run back to Lowe's, I found a way to patch them and the mask still works. How? Superglue won't work. Ready for it? Duct tape!)

Rich

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
While you do hear this statement get repeated a lot, I don't believe it is actually true. The saw would be the most obvious case to dispute, since it doesn't really operate any differently than it's powered equivalent, just runs at a lower speed.

For a hand saw to be equivalent to a table saw in wood dust production, dispersion and mean particle size it would need to operate at a similar speed continuously. It's the multiple high speed collisions of the table saw blade teeth with shavings which makes the small particles. (Think mulching lawnmower blades) A handsaw produces negligible amounts of the <3 micron dust which travels deep into our lungs and is the most harmful.

richlife

New User
Rich
For a hand saw to be equivalent to a table saw in wood dust production, dispersion and mean particle size it would need to operate at a similar speed continuously. It's the multiple high speed collisions of the table saw blade teeth with shavings which makes the small particles. (Think mulching lawnmower blades) A handsaw produces negligible amounts of the <3 micron dust which travels deep into our lungs and is the most harmful.

Yes.

Hey, Mark. Long time...

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I've used earbuds before to listen to music. I have found they are not as good as dedicated hearing protection but not bad. I would prefer to protect my ears in any way that is effective and get to listen to music which helps me think. Muff or plug....as long as the hearing is protected.

It's good to see the suggestions for dust mask alternatives as well as others. But how many of these dust masks would you wear in a hot tub? :gar-La;

Newboy, sorry but I've long been converted and use hand tools far more than most. But despite the noise, I still use power tools for bulk work and volume work.

My own comments: Foam ear plugs have the advantage of provide superior sound reduction -- I clean my ears when needed. :D

I also really like the full face mask for many reasons including the general lack of fogging proplems. One caution, the mask with plastic head bands that I got at Lowe's broke on the third use. (Being reluctant to run back to Lowe's, I found a way to patch them and the mask still works. How? Superglue won't work. Ready for it? Duct tape!)

Rich

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Zach I wear ear buds with decent quality shooting style muffs over them, I get some protection and keep the volume on the ipod reasonable.

The Trend has a full face shield. There has been some controversy with the Trend as it does not carry an impact 'rating'. This is because Trend says they can not afford to supply the requested number of units for testing. I heard 250 were requested. Still I trust my Trend. Mine has only taken two decent hits and I assure you both times I was very thankful I had it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors