Dust Masks, for those of us with glasses

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I recently purchased an RZ dust mask. It is relatively comfortable to wear and easy on/off.

What is your favorite dust mask, for those with glasses?

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use both, and I find my safety glasses get fogged up when using the RZ Mask. I have adjusted and readjusted, but i still fog up. I bought a large, and should have gotten the XL, as I have to pull it tight in order for the velcro to grab.

The Elipse is bulkier, but does not allow my safety glasses to rest on the bridge of my nose.

I wind up using either of these when I have the sander or router going, but do not wear either when running my tablesaw.

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
I have the RZ mask but hurts the bridge of my nose after wearing for a while. I now wear this one-
3M 6502QL Rugged Comfort Quick Latch Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator, Medium purchased from Amazon that lists for $15.14. It is the quick flip up model and works with glasses and fits under my face shield for turning. It is comfortable enough for me to wear for long periods of time.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Personal-...teway&sprefix=3m+m,aps,152&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use the Elipse dust mask and it is the first one I've tried that doesn't fog my glasses

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
I use an airshield pro with the built in fan and hearing protection. I haven't had any issues with it fogging up.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I was using 3M dust masks that you can buy by the box at HD but recently upgraded to the RZ myself and have no fogging problems.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Glasses fogging up are a sign of a mask that is the wrong size, or the straps are adjusted incorrectly.

If the mask is too large, the exhaled air escapes over the bridge of your nose, fogging your glasses, usually at the top center. Pulling the upper straps too tight can also cause this.

If the mask is too small, the exhaled air will escape around the sides of the nostrils, fogging the glasses along the bottom. This can also cause it to be uncomfortable on the bridge of the nose.

If you have a narrow nose/bridge, using masks made with the softer more flexible silicone plastic/rubber can make it easier to get a good seal, but sizing is still important.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the RZ mask but hurts the bridge of my nose after wearing for a while. I now wear this one-
3M 6502QL Rugged Comfort Quick Latch Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator, Medium purchased from Amazon that lists for $15.14. It is the quick flip up model and works with glasses and fits under my face shield for turning. It is comfortable enough for me to wear for long periods of time.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Personal-Protective-Equipment-51131494904/dp/B00IF7RBS4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2C2X4840H7AV1&keywords=3m+mask&qid=1554720330&s=gateway&sprefix=3m+m,aps,152&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1
Same here

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use both, and I find my safety glasses get fogged up when using the RZ Mask. I have adjusted and readjusted, but i still fog up. I bought a large, and should have gotten the XL, as I have to pull it tight in order for the velcro to grab.

The Elipse is bulkier, but does not allow my safety glasses to rest on the bridge of my nose.

I wind up using either of these when I have the sander or router going, but do not wear either when running my tablesaw.
I have an XL RZ Mask that I don't use any longer. It's yours, if you want it.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
David, it's not particularly helpful (sorry), but I never did find a respirator that worked well with my glasses. If they sealed well they all pushed my glasses up far enough on my nose to mess up my vision. I have a box full of respirators at all price points that I've tried.

A couple of years ago I had cataract surgery on both eyes and don't need glasses any longer except for close work. I now use a 3M Ultimate FX full facepiece respirator.

The picture doesn't show the cartridges. The advantage to this type of respirator is that it protects your eyes as well as your lungs. It's not cheap though. I find it very comfortable and like it a lot.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have he Rockler powered half mask for use with sanding. It works well but I find it easy to unplug from the power supply. I also have a trend airshield for spraying finishes. It was expensive but worth it.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
For those that use or want to use full face respirators, and wear corrective lenses, their are several options available. Some mount to the specific mask (i.e 3M, etc) and some just have a rubber suction cup that sticks to the inside of the mask face. I used the suction cup type for years working with aircraft coatings. I liked the ability to easily change them from mask to mask, as well as they worked in my scuba mask.

A couple links to get the idea. I haven't used these for years, so am not recommending a specific source.

Mask specific: https://www.airgas.com/services/prescription-safety-eyewear/respirator-inserts

Suction cup: https://www.spectacle-inserts.com/

As with regular glasses, the cost goes up when you add bifocal grind, so you may want to forgo that unless you really need it for the operations you are doing when wearing the mask.

Last edited:

Donna Wynne

New User
Donna
I wear glasses and loathe the fit of the standard half-face respirators when worn with glasses. They make my glasses sit too high & thus distort my vision. The common paper & N95 type dusk masks fog up my glasses and don't catch enough of the really dangerous very small stuff. What I really love is my ancient Racal "Air Mate" powered full-face respirator. It has a belt-worn power pack (with blower & filter), and it is used with hard hat-mounted full-face shield. There are different styles of optional light-weight soft Tyvek-type head coverings in place of the shielded hard hat. I bought my Racal at least 20 years ago at a woodworking show, and I never regretted it. It can use large particulate filters (which sort of defeats the purpose of the face mask) or much better, a HEPA filter. Alas, years ago, I think 3M bought the company and tripled the original price, but at least it's still available, even on Amazon, including replacement parts. The Air Mate is cool & comfortable enough for extended wear -- and even at 3M's pricing, it's still a lot cheaper than getting a replacement set of lungs.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
3M does make an spectacle kit for the FF-402 full face respirator I posted above.

It's not cheap at $122.95 and you still have to have prescription lenses made for it. Of course, no eyeglass frames are cheap these days. Since I don't wear glasses any longer I cannot offer an opinion about how well these work, but being 3M they probably do exactly what is needed. With the cost of the respirator ($140) plus lenses plus cartridges you'll have quite an investment, but how much are your eyes and lungs worth to you? For dust alone I'm not sure I'd spend it on this, but if I was spraying toxic finishes it would be worth every penny.

OTOH, for perspective, I have spent in excess of $300 just for a pair of glasses in the past. That included coatings, variable focus for bifocals ands such. And that didn't include a respirator :). Maybe the cost of this complete rig isn't outrageous at all for what you end up with.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS