Dust mask for prescription glasses

Status
Not open for further replies.

drchristian

New User
David
Apparently I have developed allergies to wood dust. I was sanding with a hand belt sander a yesterday, now runny nose and coughing. I wear glasses and the dust mask I had was fogging up my glasses so I took it off. It was one of the easy breath ones from Lowes. Anyone have suggestions for one that will not fog glasses on humid rainy days?

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Have you looked at some of the 3M half mask respirators?

Generally, if your mask is causing your glasses to fog that suggests your breath is either leaking out around the edges or there is inadequate air circulation in the presence of heavy sweat (if a full face mask). The 3M respirators have a flexible silicone mask, adjustable head straps, and replaceable cartridge filters and they work quite well if you need protection from fine dust (just use an N95 or N100, filter cartridge).

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I can offer two options, a low and a higher tech. I wear a mask every day I work when doing surgery. I always apply a strip of tape to the top of the mask half on the mask and half on my face to keep from fogging my glasses. In my shop I have a supplied air system from:
http://breathecool.com/

I got the Tyvek face shield for spray painting and then added the mask for other things like sanding and grinding. I immediately loved it, fresh cool air that keeps your whole head cool. Also, if you ever want to spray two stage paints with isocyanates the supplied air system is considered mandatory.
I admit I don't go to the trouble of getting it out for a quick sanding job but if I developed allergies I would probably use it all the time.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I use one of the 3M half mask respirators. I put on the mask and get a good seal all around without wearing my glasses. Then I put on my glasses and rest them on my nose above the mask. It's not the best thing for sight since my glasses are riding a little higher than normal, but it is the best for breathing protection and fog elimination. Respirators and glasses are always somewhat difficult.

There are some full face respirators out there that you can get special glasses frames for, but you'll spend IIRC about $80 for the frames plus the cost of dedicated lenses plus the cost of the mask and cartridges. If you can wear contact lenses then a regular full face respirator could work quite well.

But I really don't think there is a single solution, with or without glasses, for all the different situations where you need protection. For wood turning, grinding, sawing and such you need some good impact protection for your face and eyes. Dust requires good filtration and lower impact eye protection. Spraying ups the ante for breathing protection and spraying certain materials demands both particulate and fume protection for both your lungs and eyes.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
if you can't find a respirator the fits correctly, a filtered air face shield may be a better option. Whichever you go with, if you have a sensitivity to the dust/fumes, remember its important to vacuum all the contaminants off you and your clothes before you remove your respiratory protection. If wearing coveralls/tyvek suit, remove it before removing the respirator.

Go

Paradise Farms

New User
Matt
You could also try coating your glasses with hand soap, barbasol, toothpaste, glass defogger to see if it helps keep your glasses from fogging up. I know those items keep bathroom mirrors from fogging, might work on glasses.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Have you looked at Dust-Be-Gone? It has a wire at the top to allow you to custom fit it to your nose.

Pop

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
During my use of respirators, I found the filter cartridge type made of the soft silicon rubber the easiest to fit and the most comfortable to wear. As a rule, if the respirator leaks over the bridge of the nose, it is too large. If it leaks around the edges of the nostrils, it is too small, or the straps are too tight. Leakage in either area can cause glasses to fog.

If your reaction to the dust is mainly with the particles going into the lungs, then a half-face mask is most likely all you need. If it appears to be an allergic reaction, then a full face/hood, or the airflow face shield type would most likely be better, as it keeps the dust out of the eyes also. The blood vessels in your eyes will absorb chemicals 10 times faster than through your skin, so eye protection greatly helps in an allergy/toxic contaminant situation.

If using a cartridge type respirator that has the activated charcoal fume filter, you still need the P95 or P1000 pre-filter on top of it (or in place of it on some masks) for dusts. A P95 filter is effective for most wood dusts. P100 is better for very fine particles like you would get from sanding carbon fiber composite, etc.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS