Dust Deputy on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Very tempting.....

I've been on the fence about one of these for awhile now. To those w/ experience, is it worth the extra $40 for the full kit vs. the DIY kit (cyclone only)?

Thanks!

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Just bought one of these a few weeks ago. It's good deal at $79.00. :icon_thum

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Very tempting.....

I've been on the fence about one of these for awhile now. To those w/ experience, is it worth the extra $40 for the full kit vs. the DIY kit (cyclone only)?

Thanks!

It is easier and quicker to setup but if you have a bucket and a tight fitting lid, all you have to do is cut a hole with your jig saw for the debris and drill some holes for the bolts so in hindsight I don't think it is worth it.

Also, I bought one a while back and a washable hepa filter for my vac and couldn't be happier (noise levels aside). A buddy of mine bought one, used it for 3-weeks, had it stolen, but immediately replaced it; that should tell you something.

Get one, if you don't like post it for sale here and get your money back; someone will buy it...

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Very tempting.....

Thanks!

The kit comes with two 5 gallon pails, don't know why.

The 5 gallon pail with the DD on top is very tippy. Walk past and it falls over tippy. If you have a larger container with a tight fitting lid and a wider stance, the DIY may be the way to go. Unless you intend to mount it in a permanent location or attach it to your shop vac.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
The kit comes with two 5 gallon pails, don't know why.

The 5 gallon pail with the DD on top is very tippy. Walk past and it falls over tippy. If you have a larger container with a tight fitting lid and a wider stance, the DIY may be the way to go. Unless you intend to mount it in a permanent location or attach it to your shop vac.

Tippy indeed, but I found a solution. Put a brick or two (or anything else flat and heavy) in one bucket, then put the bucket with the DD on it inside (on top of the brick); now I can knock into it without it tipping.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Tippy indeed, but I found a solution. Put a brick or two (or anything else flat and heavy) in one bucket, then put the bucket with the DD on it inside (on top of the brick); now I can knock into it without it tipping.

I'll bet that's why they give you two pails with the kit.
Too bad they don't include the bricks. :rotflm:

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Ahhhh, if you look at the video on the kit page it shows them bolting the 2nd bucket to the shopvac and using that to hold the dust bucket. Not a bad idea.... Ok, I'm in for one...

Thanks!

Travis

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I've had one for 2 years now and finally got around to getting it hooked up and in use last year and love it. Yes the second bucket is to attach to your vac if you chose and freestanding it falls like a drunken sailor like everyone has observed!! :rotflm::rotflm:

I put 2 old 10 pound iron barbell weights in the bottom bucket and it stays put pretty well unless you drag it over. :icon_thum

Brian.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Any idea how small of a vac is too small? I have a ShopVac "Quiet Series" 6 gallon with 2HP max that I use a CleanStream HEPA filter in. I used a second larger ShopVac as a chip separator for a while and that worked okay but was always in my way so I got rid of it. My plan is to replace it with something I can fit in easier, which might even be a box I make. I will either have to make a separator of some kind inside it or add something like the DD outside it. I love the quiet little vac, it's just filling and/or clogging quicker that I would like now. I will put up with it before I go to a louder one. But if a minicyclone will work with it...

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Andy, the vac size shouldn't matter too much and I believe it would work fine with the one you have. In fact if I'm not mistaken I have that same model or one very similar, I can verify tonight when I get home from work if that would help you with your decision.

If you plan on making your own container I would recommend the DIY kit to save more money, unless you really want the buckets and mounting stuff to attach it to the side of the vac.

HTH,
Brian.

CarvedTones

Andy
Pulled the trigger on the DIY. "Cleaning products" are always easy to justify at home. The stuff that makes messes requires more discussion. :)

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
Good deal - got the basic cyclone 6 months ago. Then went to Firehose subs and got two -5 gallon buckets with lids for $2 each. You can also get buckets FREE from most Chick fil-ets,or other fast food joints - just ask as they recycle them , They also have the good tight fitting lids.
Tight fitting Lids are important for air flow.

The buckets from the Borg are ok but the lids are not as tight sealing or quick removing as the ones from Firehous subs which have a gasket inside the lid.

I Made a carrier with wheels to hold the vac and the buckets, One bucket sits inside the other
for stability - I anchored the outside bucket with screws to the base of the carrier.

Works good and there are many fewer Vac filter cleanings.

CarvedTones

Andy
Just got the email from UPS with that famous line from so many horror movies (but in this case it is good news :) ) - "It's outside your door"

I hope to get it hooked up tonight. The cherry I got for turning blanks recently is really dry and I have been holding back on doing too much.

Also wanted to give this another bump as the sale is still going on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS