Dust Deputy Cyclone (Oneida)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
+1
I borrowed one from Mike (Shamrock) a while ago and liked it so much I bought my own.
Works great!

p

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I recently reviewed the Dust Deputy DIY (Cyclone Only) and was very
pleased with the results. For those of you (like me) with a small
shop that relies on a shop-vac for saw dust clean-up and extraction
this thing is a must.
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Dust_Deputy.php

NO AFFILIATION YADA YADA YADA!! Just a very happy end-user.

Brian
www.garagewoodworks.com

Brian,

Thanks for the reveiew. Spent some time checking out your site too and I really enjoyed it.

Travis

araldite

New User
araldite
I've had one for about a year and it works great. One of the few things that work just as good as advertised.

Trog777

New User
Trog
I have clear-vue's old design for hook up to portable tools. Works great with one of those outlet switches that turns the shopvac on with the tool.

IMG_02352.jpg

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I got one of the full kits from my sister for Christmas and haven't had time to get it set up yet. I eventually want to do something like Alan did with some 2.5" PVC but I'm thinking of putting the shop vac up in the attic over my garshop to reduce noise. Maybe a remote switch for the outlet or who knows as I haven't really sat down long enough to plan it out. :dontknow:

Brian.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
how do these handle planers? Like a dewalt 735?

the guys at Clearvue say they don't recommend it, but i was wondering if any of yall have tried it.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Also curious about how much CFM you used, or atleast peak HP. I need to get a bigger vac and am planning on doing this system so I want to tailor it to this.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Also curious about how much CFM you used, or atleast peak HP. I need to get a bigger vac and am planning on doing this system so I want to tailor it to this.

You are confusing two different dust collection principles- Static Pressure and Volumetric Flow, measured in CFM. Shopvacs work on static pressure. That is why they can do silly things like pick up bowling balls. But they do not move large volumes of air (or dust). They are best used with small power hand tools like random orbit sanders, routers, etc. that have small ports. A planer, jointer, or other heavy dust and chip producing machine will quickly choke a shopvac and the shopvac will not collect near the volume of chips or fine dust from in and around the machine that is necessary. Big machines typically require 300 to 600 or more CFM- a shopvac moves only a small fraction of that.

A dust collector with large blower moves large volumes of air and is designed to work with machines that require large CFM. A DC however, requires larger duct and hose- a minimum of 4," but larger diameter is often much better and recommended. A DC will not work satisfactorily with a typical 1.5" - 2.5" diameter dust port or shopvac hose on small equipment as it will not draw sufficient CFM.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
:dontknow:So don't to it with a Shop Vac? I have no DC now except for 100psi and broom:eusa_booh. I have a mini-shop vac but am trying not to spend too much or take up any space. :icon_scra Wasted space for me can mean not having but a few power tools.:dontknow: Anywho, I do like this design, maybe I could do something like this and run it outside to minimize space used and noise!

araldite

New User
araldite
A Dust Deputy is designed to be used with a 2 1/2" hose. It doesn't make any difference what kind of vacuum you have, a 2 1/2" hose is not big enough to handle all of the shavings coming off a planer; the shavings will clog right in the hose. The Dust Deputy will work with any small tool that you would use a shop vac with. If the tool is equipped with a 4" dust port, you should use a 4" hose and move up to something bigger than a shop vac and a Dust Deputy.

GarageWoodworks

New User
Brian Grella

the guys at Clearvue say they don't recommend it, but i was wondering if any of yall have tried it.

I have had NO problems using the Dust Deputy at the planer. I have a Delta (TP300) with DIY dust collection port:

_MG_4869.jpg

No clogging :gar-La;.

GarageWoodworks

New User
Brian Grella
A Dust Deputy is designed to be used with a 2 1/2" hose. It doesn't make any difference what kind of vacuum you have, a 2 1/2" hose is not big enough to handle all of the shavings coming off a planer; ...

Sure it is. I've had no problems connecting my Dust Deputy to my planer.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member

I have one and it can keep up with the 735 as long as you're planning narrow boards and don't get to aggressive with the cut. Crank it down on a 10" wide plank and it will clog up. And the 5 gal bucket fills up really quick.

pete

4yanks

New User
Willie
Brian,

Nice review. I also liked the rest of your website.

I too have used a shop vacuum on my planer. It could be made to clog with heavy planing. But it was good enough to get me going in dust (chip) collection. I now have a large cyclone and find it much better for any high volume collection.

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
It comes down to whatever fits your budget. You either pay the price now or pay later. If all you can afford is a DD w/shopvac to collect from machines- that is better than nothing. At some point, once you get serious, you will need and want to get a big DC. At that time the DD + shopvac can be relegated to router, sander, etc. dust pickup, where it works better than a DC. It is like 4" DC ducting- it works, but not as well as 6" in most DC applications. Everyone here just wants to make sure you know how your choices will work and for what applications. In the world of dust collection (like the number of clamps) you can NEVER have too much. More is ALWAYS better (more CFM is better for machines, more static pressure is better for small, powered hand tools).

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
thanks guys. i'm still thinking about trying one of these for my shop. i just don't have the room for a full fledged dust collector also i was wondering is there anything to prevent you from mounting that on a larger barrel rather than a 5 gallon bucket?

Last edited:

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
thanks guys. i'm still thinking about trying one of these for my shop. i just don't have the room for a full fledged dust collector also i was wondering is there anything to prevent you from mounting that on a larger barrel rather than a 5 gallon bucket?

No, the size of the barrel has no effect. The only thing- the drum/bucket/barrel, etc. can not have any leaks. The top and all fittings, etc. must be absolutely air tight, otherwise it will affect the cyclonic separation and a lot more dust will make it through to the shopvac filter.

FYI, if you are able to connect it as a push-though where the mini is downstream from the shopvac (not usually possible with most shop vacs), you can just attach a plastic lawn& leaf trash bag to the bottom to collect the dust and chips, since the cyclone is under positive pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors