Dust Deputy connectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazart

New User
Steve
I bought a Dust Deputy and put it on a bucket, but I realize that the openings on the D.D. are too big or small for the hoses and connectors that I have for my ShopVac.

I'd also like to have something generic that I can put on the lower connector so that I can connect it to multiple machines easily. For example, I have a 4" connector and hose already connected to the bottom of my table saw, but I also want to be able to use it for generic garage wood chip cleanups, etc.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Check out the "hub less couplings" in the local plumbing supply, Lowes, or Home Depot. You may find something that works for you. I'm using a Dust Deputy connected in line with a whole house central vacuum unit to pick up saw dust from the floor, my scroll saws, drill presses, and sanders. The central vacuum unit pipes and the Dust Deputy fittings are coupled together with these rubber "hub less couplings". I'm not certain, but I think I used the 2" size for my Dust Deputy, which is the smaller clear plastic model.. They fit tight, but did go together. There are many sizes of these, and even ones that adapt one size to another. The stainless hose clamps that come with them will allow you to shrink a loose fit enough to make it tight, but the ones that I chose fit tight before tightening the hose clamps.

With a Dust Deputy attached to a 5 gallon plastic bucket you may have imploding problems where the bucket walls collapse inward from the high suction. I had serious problems when I began using the central vacuum unit as my vacuum source with my Dust Deputy connected just ahead of it, because my buckets collapsed almost immediately. I then learned that the Firehouse Subs Pickle Buckets available from Firehouse Subs for $2 each were supposed to be stronger than the commonly available white buckets, so I bought a couple of them. Everything was working OK until a wood chip plugged the end of the vacuum hose (I was vacuuming the floor). Almost immediately, I heard my Firehouse Bucket collapse from the increased vacuum level. I studied the problem for a while and then realized that the the top 1/3 of these Firehouse buckets were ribbed on the outside. The white buckets were not ribbed at all. Then I figured out that if I stacked 3 Firehouse buckets together, that there would be ribs all the way to the bottom of the top bucket and the total bucket wall thickness would be 3 times the thickness of just one bucket. I did this, and never had a collapsing problem afterward. The only problem with using these
cheap Firehouse Subs pickle buckets is that if you vent your dust collector vacuum inside your shop, you may suddenly need to go get a hamburger to go with the un-mistakable aroma of good dill pickles that will quickly fill your shop. I have tried many methods of getting the smell out of these buckets. Some worked a little and some worked better, but none worked completely. Putting the open buckets and lids face up in the bright Sunlight for about a week seemed to work the best, but it still wasn't 100%. I vented my vacuum outdoors shortly after I began using the pickle buckets, so I no longer had the desire to get a hamburger after that.

I have since found a 20 gallon steel grease barrel and made a wood top for it out of two layers of 3/4 cabinet birch plywood with the Dust Deputy attached to a hole in the center of both layers. The lower layer just fits into the open end of the barrel and the upper layer is 2" larger in diameter. I caulked and glued these two layers together. Then added some 3/4" wide closed cell foam Weatherstrip to the underside of the top layer right next to the smaller diameter layer. I had a perfect seal on the first try. At my present amount of sawdust creation I can go about 4 months to 3/4 fill the 20 gallon barrel. When it needs to be dumper, there is enough flex in the pipe connections to allow the lid to be lifted and the barrel removed, dumped, and replaced.

I can't find a photo of the three stacked pickle bucket vacuum system, but did find two photos showing what happened to the single Firehouse Subs bucket. The third photo is of my central vacuum, Dust Deputy, and 20 gallon grease barrel the way that it is today. Since my shop is small, it resides in the attic of my shop with vacuum lines and inlets located in several places in the shop, plus one in the outside wall, so I can vacuum my cars and trucks with it..

Charley

Attachments

• DSCF0478.jpg
    DSCF0478.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 130
  • Img_150624123236.JPG
    Img_150624123236.JPG
    395.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Img_150624123252.JPG
    Img_150624123252.JPG
    417.6 KB · Views: 132

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I connected the vacuum to the DD with 2 inch schedule 40 PVC pipe and fittings. I heated the end to go onto the upper DD connection and shoved it on. It now fits well. I swap a Rigid 2.5 inch 20 foot hose for bigger tools and a Bosch 5 meter hose for smaller tools on the inlet. Both have normal shop vac fittings on one end and this works fine on the DD. It is not a tight friction fit but it fits well enough that not hardly any air leaks. And it is easy to change hoses when I move to a different tool.

dazart

New User
Steve
I just wrapped it a few times with duct tape to fit my Rigid shop vac.

I've tried doing something like that for something else, but it always seems that sooner or later the wood dust and chips get up in the duct tape and it gets loose. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
If your current shop vac end hose connector doesn't slide far enough onto the DD to make a good connection, you might want to look around for another. Seems like I have at least one that didn't. I think it was on a smaller hose, however. My 2.5 inch hose connector slides on fine. I have a drawer of this kind of stuff, I would start digging if I ran into this. If it is the smaller hose, I'm not sure what the right solution is. The Bosch 5 meter hose is not expensive, however, and works fine on the DD. It's a nicer hose than the rigid hoses - and it's about 16 feet long. If it's a 2.5 inch hose you are trying to connect, I'd look at HD to see if they have a different connector you can screw onto the hose.

Futbalfantic

New User
Dan
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to rotate the pictures.

This is my setup (work in progress.) I have a Shopvac Brand wet/dry vac. When I hooked it into the dust deputy it lost all its umphh. So I built a vacuum. The metal drum came from my grandfathers old vacuum that I Re-purposed it. When I bought the dust deputy it came with the blue plastic drum and has a plywood ring on the underside. And that it 30' of vacuum hose that I will build a reel for shortly.

Dan

PS Forgot to add that I took the connectors off the hoses and they slide onto the DD easily. When I get my final setup I will epoxy them on.

Attachments

• IMG_4613[1].jpg
    IMG_4613[1].jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_4614.jpg
    IMG_4614.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_4616.jpg
    IMG_4616.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_4615.jpg
    IMG_4615.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
How big is that drum? It looks like it may be too large for the Dust Deputy.

I have mine on a 5 gallon bucket and it works fine with my old Rigid vacuum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS