Dust Collector

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
So I am thinking of getting a new dust collector. Currently I have a second hand HF motor and impeller mounted to the wall with a thein top hat on a trash can with a 5 micron bag attached to the output. It has done great for the time that I have had it but think I would like something that is not mounted to the wall and has better filtration. I don't have a large budget to upgrade...well under a grand if possible. If there isn't anything that would be an upgrade in this price range I could always build a stand for my current setup and try to get one of the canister filters for it. Something like below.
attachment.php

Just want to make sure there isn't something better that I could upgrade to before I completely rebuild mine. Thank you

Attachments

• 1967297-438x.jpg
    1967297-438x.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 418

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
I don't know if you are anywhere near Hillsborough or have the time to go to an estate sale there this Wednesday, July 18th. They have a lot of tools for sale. There was a dust collector in some of the pictures of the items for sale.
Look at www.estatesales.net for information.

Last edited:

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I'm leaning towards the home made route being the best thing until I can upgrade to a bigger better system

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
What is your biggest complaint with your current set up? Capacity, suction, etc?

How big of a motor is your current set up?

Just thinking out loud, if you watch craigslist, you can find some very good buys at times and not spend a lot of money. I sold a 2 HP unit quite a few years back for $150. It didn't have great bags, but it had good suction and I occasionally see similar set ups for sale.

Your set up looks pretty good, just curious what your desired outcome is.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Travis my main concern is the amount of dust that still comes out of the filter bag. The main reason for doing something different is I want it off of the wall and portable and the cheap filter bag. Just and FYI the picture above is not my system but what I would like to build. Here are some pictures of my system.
attachment.php
attachment.php
And as a side note there is no cover over the dust collector motor like the first picture shows

Attachments

• 38584D48-6DF3-444D-B189-60C5D59F38E2.jpeg
    38584D48-6DF3-444D-B189-60C5D59F38E2.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 294
  • FC3AB48B-F6A0-4131-B820-72ACA6029833.jpeg
    FC3AB48B-F6A0-4131-B820-72ACA6029833.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 290

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Well, with that in mind, if it were me, I would look for a free standing used 2 HP unit, preferably with a cartridge filter. Jet, Delta, Harbor Freight, Grizzly, General International, etc I would wager all have them made in the same factory as they are so much alike. It would be similar to what I used to have, except I never upgraded the bags, which I should have done in retrospect as every time I turned it on I had a cloud of dust for 5 to 10 minutes.... I would think you could get the free standing unit for under $300. It may or may not come with micron bags or a cartridge. I kind of like the cartridges with the handle on top that lets you shake it out.

Most of the 2 HP units can be wired for 110 or 220. I tried it both ways, and really couldn't tell a difference. Mine had 2 four inch ports, but you could pop the cover off and have one 6 inch port. I did that for a little while, but I think it worked just as well with 2 four inch ports.
Here is a Lobo with the cartridge for $400. Probably be able to negotiate down some as well.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/d/lobo-2-hp-canister-dust/6627158932.html

Good luck and happy hunting!

old-delta

Wes
Senior User
OKay I'm sure some will disagree here but in my experience all dust collectors are not what they claim. The HF 2HP says it has 1550 cfm .
That is so misleading to the average user. It well has 1550 with no hoses or any type attachment. They measure the cfm directly at the blower. By the time the intake and return hoses are connected the cfm is reduced to around 970 cfm which is still tolerable for the average machine. I have this DC. It cannot compare to the PM 1791079. I hooked this HF to my TS and down draft table at same time. It will not extract all the sawdust. I have to block one port for it to draw completely from TS. This is on a 4" X 5' run. The material and impeller aren't even the same grade. The PM with same specs will literally suck the HF backwards. Cheaper isn't always more. IMHO there's no comparison between these two DC's

[FONT=HarborFreightFont_regular]

• |
  • 70 gal. 2 HP Heavy Duty High Flow High Capacity Dust Collector
[/FONT]

[FONT=HarborFreightFont_regular]
61790_zzz_500.jpg

Double click on above image to view full picture​

[FONT=HarborFreightFont_bold]70 gal. 2 HP Heavy Duty High Flow High Capacity Dust Collector

[/FONT]
CentralMachinery.gif

Central Machinery

[/FONT]

powermatic-1791079k-1.jpg

Last edited:

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I completely agree with you Wes that the numbers dust collection companies post are very arbitrary; however, for the price of 1 Powermatic dust collector I could buy 5 of the HF units. That being said i think if i were at that dollar range of spending i would lean more towards a clearvue system as opposed to the Powermatic.

old-delta

Wes
Senior User
I completely agree with you Wes that the numbers dust collection companies post are very arbitrary; however, for the price of 1 Powermatic dust collector I could buy 5 of the HF units. That being said i think if i were at that dollar range of spending i would lean more towards a clearvue system as opposed to the Powermatic.

Very true. You can buy 5 for 1. HF tools are pretty much disposable while a good machine will last many years and you can get parts decades later. To me buying once for a DC or any other tool is by far more economical. I also consider resale if I choose to sell. Yes you do pay for name in most cases however there's a reason for that. Example.....HF 10" TS for $325.00, use it 5 years (if it lasts that long),
try to sell it and you end up giving it away. PM or Delta TS same specs same length of use, can be sold for not much less than paid and in some cases more than the original new price. Not to mention the inconvenience one has shifting through the cheaper tools. I like a tool that'll get the job done the first time. I consider myself a novice woodworker however I just can't get any long term use from HF and other off brand power tools. Honestly I cannot afford HF lol.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
The HF would be an upgrade for me, I am using a shop vacuum at the moment. I am planning to upgrade the table saw, however, which is likely to mean a DC too. If I do, I plan to use the HF. But I will put an Oneida cyclone on it. I tried a thein baffle but it didn't get hardly any of the fine dust that clogs up the filter, just the big chips. I have a dust deputy on my shop vac and it gets most of the fine dust, even drywall dust. So have only had to clean the filter of the shop vac once so far. If you are mainly dissatisfied with the need to clean the filter, I think a decent cyclone will help a lot with that.

You can also upgrade the HF impeller with a Rikon unit and gain some CFM. But if you add that to the cost of the HF, you start to get up to the price range of better DCs. If you add a good cartridge filter that further erodes any price advantage of the HF.

My favorite upgraded HF is by Tyler G (DIY Tyler). It looks like a good setup. Gray House Studio has a similar setup. If you look on youtube you should find both. I am planning to skip the filter entirely and just discharge outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS