Dust Collector Room Size Question

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Since the major parts of the house remodel are complete, it is time to consider the hanger-to-shop conversion, a.k.a. the s'hanger Electrical starts Wednesday. The biggest issue right now is where to place the DC. I've laid out 3 places inside, and one outside under the shed roof which is an extension of the s'hanger roof.

The shed roof is 11' + inches above the inside pad on the exterior side of the s'hanger with a 2' in 20' rise/run. The shed portion is about 11' wide. While I'm not fond of giving up being able to drive straight through the shed, I'm less fond of giving up space in the shop area of s'hanger.

What size DC 'room' is recommended? I was thinking 8'X4' inside dimensions and using 2X6 top & bottom plates and double, staggered 2x4 walls (if I can afford the lumber). I would (have someone?) pour a 4" slab (the shed has a rock base presently) and I do have a cache of rock available. I plan to place my smallish air compressor (5hp, horizontal tank) in the DC room as well. The DC is a ClearVue 1800. I do not plan to return air inside the s'hanger at this time.

The next question is is there a safe way to remove wood dust/shavings from a 55 gallon drum? I have a drum with lid, seal, and clamp. Not sure I have the horsepower to tip it safely and shovel it out without mechanical help and don't know that it makes sense to make the dust go airborne (again).

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I use a smaller drum on my CV1800. It is on a dolly I made so easy to get out and dump. If you fil a 55 that quickly, might I suggest it is raised half an inch so a hand truck can get under it. Not sure where you dump. I spread in the woods.
Outside means the air it sucks has to get into your shop somehow. In other words, you can't maintain temperature or humidity in the shop. So, it should be inside.
4 inch is over-kill for a shed.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
A 4x8 room sounds about right, but check the footprint of your DC and make sure you put the door in the right spot. As for emptying the drum, I would not worry too much:
(1) You can put a bag in the drum. Even if it's full you should not have any issue lifting the bag out
(2) Dumping the bag or drum outside will generate some dust, but it's outside, not an enclosed shop space
(3) You'll only be in the dust cloud for a couple of minutes, not hours
(4) You can wear a mask/ respirator for a few minutes while dumping the waste

llucas

luke
Senior User
I have of 5hp oneida cyclone in a shed attached to my shop. It is mounted on a wall and the metal collection drum sits on a pallet. I use a hand truck to roll it outside to dump in the woods...not that big a job at my age (74).
My shed is open at both ends so I can access it from both sides, but it is located at one end so getting to it is no problem...if you plan to have a door access to your shed, I would do a dry run with a hand truck turning and backing to make sure the 4' dimension is enough...sounds a little tight to me.
One of the BIG advantages to having it mounted outside the shop and open to the air is that there is little or no need for a filter, and that saves $ and space. If you are very close to neighbors, then some projected dust and noise may be an issue.
Without getting too far into the issue of loss of conditioned air with venting to the outside and entrainment of outside air, I have not found that to be a significant problem. If your shop is filled with high density thermal sinks (big metal objects and/or concrete floor) then that quickly moderates any changes in air temperature and humidity.

TracerRound

Larry
Corporate Member
Searching for an answer to a question and this thread is related.

I am planning to put the duct collector of my future shop in its own room outside of the shop. Because of this does the micron level or the bag/filter even matter? If it does not then I will pay for HP and not better filters.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
If you have 1000 cfm you would need a outside air tranfser of 1000 cfm to avoid starving the air flow in the room (neutral balanced). That is the only thing that you need to make sure of so the system is not being deprived. You can accomplish this through 440 sf in size grill in one or more than one register

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
If you have 1000 cfm you would need a outside air tranfser of 1000 cfm to avoid starving the air flow in the room (neutral balanced). That is the only thing that you need to make sure of so the system is not being deprived. You can accomplish this through 440 sf in size grill in one or more than one register
Not sf right?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS