Dust Collector Remote Control Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWSmith

New User
David
Okay. So I'm lazy. The remote control for the TV has ruined me. But the remote control for the dust collector in the shop has become almost a necessity. I had a Shop Fox remote unit and the first remote died not long after I put it to use. The second remote died two days ago and Kligspor replaced it for me. When I pluged in the new control, the dust collector ran intermittently which was a problem with the outlet as I picked up the controller. I could smell the hot plastic. So Klingspor replaces it again and this one runs well, for now. I don't trust it and will unplug it at night when I leave the shop just for safety.

The questions.....Is there a better remote control? Who makes it? Where can I get one?

Opinions will be greatly appreciated.

T

toolferone

The Long Ranger has been around a long time, one the first players I think. They make both 110 and 220 volt models. The link is to Amazon, but they are at many woodworking stores and such.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I gave up on the remote DC. I mounted a switch on the wall [the DC is upstairs] and switched the outlet. now when I'm feeling lazy I grab the cell phone and tell the wife I need a hand. when she shows up I ask her to "flip that switch over there" viola remote control!:rotflm:

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
The Long Ranger has been around a long time, one the first players I think. They make both 110 and 220 volt models. The link is to Amazon, but they are at many woodworking stores and such.

I've had the Long Ranger 220v model for 4 years now and it has worked perfectly. I got mine at Penn State Industries.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
+1 for the Long Ranger. 000 for the Shop Fox. I actually found a potential fire hazard in the one that I owned for a few days.

bobby g

DWSmith

New User
David
Thanks for the Long Ranger information. Looks interesting. But the Amazon specs list it as made for dust collectors up to 2 1/2 hp. Mine is 3 hp and I wonder if it will be tough enough for the amp draw.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
I've had good results with the ones Woodcraft sells. I've used both the 3hp and the 1 1/2hp models. I didn't have any luck with the Shopfox/Woodstock version either.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Thanks for the Long Ranger information. Looks interesting. But the Amazon specs list it as made for dust collectors up to 2 1/2 hp. Mine is 3 hp and I wonder if it will be tough enough for the amp draw.

At 3HP you will be running at the rated limits (or above for some models), so your failure rate my well come down to just how well the switching mechanism is designed in a given remote switch (whether it be relay, triac, or solid-state-relay based).

Another option would be to remotely trigger a contactor (a heavy-duty relay) to power your dust collector on and off. Use a contactor with a 120V or 220V coil (and a comparable remote switching solution) and you could simply plug it into any of the existing remote solutions presently on the market. Since the remote will no longer be switching the load of a large motor, but rather that of a small contactor coil, it should have a greatly extended operating life with 3HP and larger motors.

Just a thought

T

toolferone

+1 on Ethans idea. Pretty easy to wire and you could keep your Shop Fox for a while since it will have no load on it it might last. And if it goes bad you could replace it with any other remote or even the Clapper if you wanted.

eyekode

New User
Salem
There was a recall on these (the ShopFox's) as well (fire hazard).
The other thing you could do is buy a remote from one of the vendors that sell the larger DC's. Of course the remotes are exactly has Ethan described them: an RC remote that triggers a large 220v contactor.
Salem

Glennbear

Glenn
I gave up on the remote DC. I mounted a switch on the wall [the DC is upstairs] and switched the outlet. now when I'm feeling lazy I grab the cell phone and tell the wife I need a hand. when she shows up I ask her to "flip that switch over there" viola remote control!:rotflm:
I have a DC remote and it has worked fine. Although I currently do not have a partner I think I would pass on your method Fred due to the possibility of negative consequences. :gar-La;
trash-him.gif

cskipper

Cathy
We had a remote until my BIL lost it. Then we installed a central system. LOML has it set so that opening any gate automatically starts the system, and obviously closing a gate shuts it off. We have gates at all the major tools. Considering the size of the shop, even if we rearranged the tools we would still have a gate handy.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Remote, where is the darn remote? After teaching school in a 4000 sq ft shop that only had one place to turn on DC, I promised myself that I wouldn't have that problem in my shop, and I don't. My remote is a SSAC sensor located in the panel box, through which one of the legs of each power tool circuit passes. When machine is activated, DC comes on. Shut off machine, and a cube timer runs the DC for about 10 more seconds to clear the piping. Cost me about $100 in parts in 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors