Dust Collector: Cyclone vs. Portable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mburke911

New User
Mark
Hello,
If you had a choice, price not an issue. Would you choose between a 1.5 HP cyclone (grizzley G0443) Dc or a 1.5 HP portable DC (Delt 50-850 with pleated filter). Why?

Is there really a huge diffeence in suction? Based on the published numbers it doesn't seem so.

Thanks,

Mark

DaveO

New User
DaveO
food-smiley-007.gif
this could be good. McRabbet you out there????

Dave:)

mburke911

New User
Mark
Woops... I take it I hit a sore topic... kinda like Nikon vs Cannon (other thread).

I am asking because I have the 1.5 HP delta and have an opportunity move to the 1.5 HP Grizzley cyclone. I thought that the size of the empeller had a major bearing on air volume moved. So the 1.5 HP Grizzley can move more air than the smaller empeller of the 1.5 HP Delta. Not being a Mechanical Engineer with a focus in fluid dynamics... I am guessing.

OK, so I looked again (more closely) at the numbers for each unit. Clearly the Grizzley provides much much more static Pressure on the same sized pipe. So... I think I have my answer.

Thanks,

Mark

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Mark - It is my understanding that the cyclone will do better, at similar specs. Static pressure is much higher on the clones and they are more efficient moving air.

Now, I don't have a cyclone so most of what I know is from what I've read. I'm sure more will chime in.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
The Grizzly looks nice. In my book a cyclone trumps a 2 stage DC because the filter doesn't get clogged near as much... giving you more flow over a longer time. Noise from the Grizzly may be more than you're used to on the Delta but easy to work out a solution with some stovepipe or chicken wire and foam over the outlet pipe.

The published numbers are kind of like the brown stuff coming out of the south end of a northbound horse. Be leary.

sediener

New User
Steve
I am looking at the same model... I kinda wonder where you are going to put that in your gar-shop though. It has a pretty large footprint.

- Steve

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
I'm also looking at the same model. Just wonder if it will keep up with my PM209 20" planer and my 22-44 Pro Sander? I just have the 1hp delta now....

mburke911

New User
Mark
Hi Steve,

I pick mine up on Monday. It should be interesting. Asking the question to make myself a bit more sure with the decision.

Mark

mburke911

New User
Mark
Steve,

As for the footprint... it is about the same as my Delta + the trash can separator and the hose. I think it will fit in the same spot (minus a few shelves).

Mark

M

McRabbet

DaveO just knew I'd chime in! So grab the
food-smiley-007.gif
and here goes... Buy the cyclone. More efficient airflow, includes remote, has better fine particle removal and is easier to maintain. I'd run on 220V.

Hope you ate fast!

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Mark,

I agree whole heartedly with Rob. But since you already have the Delta have you thought about building a Thien collector for your can instead of can seperator, the Thien is much more efficient. You might even think of adding a Wynne filter. Overall the cost would be a little more than a $100 and you would have a 0.5 micron filter and better suction.

Just another option if you don't want to spend the money on the cyclone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS