Dust Collection Hose Size

harpone

New User
Harpone
I have a Dust Deputy hooked up to an old Craftsman shop vac and then to various power tools (table saw, sander, bandsaw and router). This is a 2 1/2" system. Would a 1 1/4" system do a better job collecting dust? Lowe's has a great buy this weekend on a Shop Vac with 1 1/4" or a Craftsman with the 2 1/2" .

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I had a 1 1/4" Shop Vac, problem I had was it constantly got clogged from dust and wood chips, don't have that issue with my 2 1/2" hose system.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have had better luck with 2 1/2" on my tools, even though I am just using a Ridgid vac going through a home-made Thien separator. I do use 1 1/4" on my miter saw and the occasional use of a DA sander. I gave away my 1 1/4" Shop Vac just because of the screaming noise it made.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I have a re-purposed whole house type vacuum with a Dust Deputy in the line ahead of it that I use for my lesser saw dust producers like my scroll saws, sanders, drill presses, etc. but I also vacuum the shop floor and have an inlet in the outside wall so I can take the hose outside and vacuum the cars and trucks with it. The exhaust from the vacuum is to the outdoors, so even the micron sized dust that might get past my Dust Deputy never gets into my shop air. In 4 years I have never found more than a trace of dust in the collection container of the vacuum unit. The Dust Deputy is doing a great job. It's sitting on top of a 20 gallon metal barrel that I have to dump about once per year. With the small household pipes and hose it isn't used for my large chip producers, but it does a great job at keeping my lungs clear of the tiny saw dust.

My largest chip producer, the DeWalt 735 planer, is always use it outside the shop in the driveway with the accessory collection hose feeding into a 60 gallon plastic barrel. That planer can fill the barrel in a couple of hours. My Unisaw collects it's saw dust in the bottom of it's cabinet, and I shovel it out about 2 times a year.

A Shop Vac needs a Dust Deputy ahead of it if you will be using it in the wood shop or you will be cleaning the Shop Vac filter often. I have a second Dust Deputy on a 5 gallon bucket that always gets used with my Shop Vac. The suction level remains the high until the 5 gallon bucket is full. With fine sanding saw dust and no Dust Deputy the Shop Vac will loose suction in less than 1/2 hour of sanding and the vacuum will only have a small amount in it.

Charley

Last edited:

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I have the same vacuum you are talking about—I think (the stainless tank model is a Father’s Day special they run yearly).

Overall I’ve been pleased with, but it does have limitations. Cleaning up debris is sometimes a pain because it frequently clogs the small hose. When using it as a wet vac the screw in plug in the tank does not seal and generously leaks.

Joining it up, limited my, to my power drywall sander it worked well—but I plan to add a dust deputy or the HD knockoff.

I believed the hose can be upgraded, which I may do (and am thinking about more as typing this!).

harpone

New User
Harpone
What size hose are you using??

I have a re-purposed whole house type vacuum with a Dust Deputy in the line ahead of it that I use for my lesser saw dust producers like my scroll saws, sanders, drill presses, etc. but I also vacuum the shop floor and have an inlet in the outside wall so I can take the hose outside and vacuum the cars and trucks with it. The exhaust from the vacuum is to the outdoors, so even the micron sized dust that might get past my Dust Deputy never gets into my shop air. In 4 years I have never found more than a trace of dust in the collection container of the vacuum unit. The Dust Deputy is doing a great job. It's sitting on top of a 20 gallon metal barrel that I have to dump about once per year. With the small household pipes and hose it isn't used for my large chip producers, but it does a great job at keeping my lungs clear of the tiny saw dust.

My largest chip producer, the DeWalt 735 planer, is always use it outside the shop in the driveway with the accessory collection hose feeding into a 60 gallon plastic barrel. That planer can fill the barrel in a couple of hours. My Unisaw collects it's saw dust in the bottom of it's cabinet, and I shovel it out about 2 times a year.

A Shop Vac needs a Dust Deputy ahead of it if you will be using it in the wood shop or you will be cleaning the Shop Vac filter often. I have a second Dust Deputy on a 5 gallon bucket that always gets used with my Shop Vac. The suction level remains the high until the 5 gallon bucket is full. With fine sanding saw dust and no Dust Deputy the Shop Vac will loose suction in less than 1/2 hour of sanding and the vacuum will only have a small amount in it.

Charley

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS