Dust collection blast gates

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
I came across a JDS starter kit and an expansion kit for sale, new in box. Is this a good brand ? I don't have the dust collector yet, but these look to be half price of retail cost. It has a controller and gate in the starter kit and two more gates in the expansion kit.

Thanks.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Brent,

I don't know what you are looking at exactly. But it seems it might be some blast gates with switches and a controller to turn the DC on and off. I want that kind of system but I am planning on just buying a solid state relay, probably from Amazon, using a small DC power supply - like we all use to charge batteries - and some micro switches. I haven't seen a commercial system I want and the parts to do this are pretty cheap. I will probably make my blast gates too. I've done it before and it is not difficult. I tried cheap plastic blast gates and they plugged easily. I do not want to spend time unclogging or cleaning blast gates. There are nicer metal self cleaning blast gates but they are more than I want to spend. Most are for 4 inch pipe and I want to use 5 or 6 inch. Some stuff to think about.

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
Brent,

I don't know what you are looking at exactly. But it seems it might be some blast gates with switches and a controller to turn the DC on and off. I want that kind of system but I am planning on just buying a solid state relay, probably from Amazon, using a small DC power supply - like we all use to charge batteries - and some micro switches. I haven't seen a commercial system I want and the parts to do this are pretty cheap. I will probably make my blast gates too. I've done it before and it is not difficult. I tried cheap plastic blast gates and they plugged easily. I do not want to spend time unclogging or cleaning blast gates. There are nicer metal self cleaning blast gates but they are more than I want to spend. Most are for 4 inch pipe and I want to use 5 or 6 inch. Some stuff to think about.
Yes, you are correct about what I'm looking at. I'm electronically challenged, so don't plan to build mine. These are 4" gates. I can't find them online, so am thinking this company no longer makes them, but for $50 or less if I negotiate, I thought they would be a good purchase.....yes/no ?

Attachments

• IMG_3580.JPG
    IMG_3580.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_3581.JPG
    IMG_3581.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 136

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
but for $50 or less if I negotiate, I thought they would be a good purchase.....yes/no ?

Well considering a single non-electric 4" aluminum dust gate is $13 at Klingspor, getting both those boxes for $50 is a good price. I searched eBay and an electriconic dust gate is $110 for one (was quick search, I'm sure they can be found cheaper) so I think $50 is good deal if they work. I'd pay $50 for them probably.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Two 4 inch non-self cleaning blast gates for $50 is definitely not much of a deal. Penn State has similar blast gates with micro switches for $11 each. You can get self cleaning metal 4 inch blast gates at Amazon for $12 each. I had plastic non self cleaning blast gates and they jambed up with sawdust. If these metal ones do that, I would not have them at any price. The controller and a gate for $50 might be OK if you REALLY do not want to do wiring. There is no electronics involved in doing it yourself. It is just a relay with one side controlling the DC and the other triggered by micro switches on the blast gates. And a little transformer/power supply for the triggering circuit. I saw a Youtube on doing this where he shows exactly what he did but I did not bookmark it. To put it together is just a little wiring and screwing things down. But $40 to avoid buying parts and putting it together isn't bad. The parts will be most of that, I think. But I would want to know how much of a load this can switch to be sure it can handle your DC.

FlyingRon

Ron
I've had the metal blast gates for a long time and not had any problem with the jamming or getting plugged up. I don't have switches on each gate because my shop is small and between the wired control box for the dc and it's remote control (which lives sitting on top of the table saw fence) that's all I need to turn things on. Actually I shut the thing down a lot without closing the blast gates.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors