Dupont6480 Workshop lighting advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
OK. Now that I have finished the interior walls and ceiling, I am ready to install lighting. My first plan is to start painting the walls and ceiling a satin white. After a lot of advice from some great NCWW members, my own personal research and talking to a lot of BORG personnel and friends I have decided on the following: (8) eight foot fixtures with reflectors and and 4 T8 bulbs each. I intend to use daylight bulbs. Now comes the question: based on this picture . . .
P9110807.JPG

View image in gallery
Would it be more efficient lighting to install the fixtures longitudally (4 fixtures evenly spaced (2 rows) or do I install them width wise (wall to wall) all 8 evenly spaced? Keeping in mind, the high point of the ceiling is only 10 feet wide due to the angled walls.

Any advice is greatly appreciated on whether 8 of these are enough light; too much; or if you have a more efficient solution.

Thanks and I hope to make a decision by tomorrow evening so I can install them as soon as I finish painting the walls and ceilings.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Personally, I would opt for 2 rows long-wise spaced on the 1/3 lines. My assumption is the one day you will have dust collection running back into the DC room and the most logical would be to run a main trunk down the centerline and branch off to either side from there. Kinda like mine - but then maybe I'm biased :rotflm:

PS: I've found that 2 lamp fixtures where quite sufficient for a 24' x 28' space - 2 rows of 3 8' fixtures down the 28' dimension.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I would go with option 1 and place them about a foot away from the angled walls. by leaving the center of the ceiling clear I see less broken bulbs in your future....:gar-Bi
Or you could run a row of three down each angle wall close to the vertical wall and another row of three down the middle. this would place the lights closer to your work tops where a lot of your power tools will be located. you may get less shadows that way? It kinda depends on the configuration you choose for your tools.:wwink:

also depends on those pesky cabinets you will be adding....

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Chris,
Thanks! What is the size of your shop and how many fixtures (size) did you use?
Tim

See above - I was editing while you where posting HA!

24x28 - 2 rows of 3 each 8' x 2 lamp fixtures. At the mounting point, they are about 9.5 to 10 feet off the floor.

OH - and I put those clear plastic protective sleeves on the bulbs, just in case I whack one with a 2x4!

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Fred,
Thanks for the great recommendations. I guess since this is my first shop, and I will more than likely try out different locations until I get it right for all my tools; I better stick with option one.
I do like the idea of option two though.
Best regards,
Tim

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Chris,
Thanks. Sounds like based on your shop, I am on the right path with 2 rows of 8 foot fixtures (8 total with 4 down each side) for my 16x40 foot shop.
Tim

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Fred,
Thanks for the great recommendations. I guess since this is my first shop, and I will more than likely try out different locations until I get it right for all my tools; I better stick with option one.
I do like the idea of option two though.
Best regards,
Tim

:gar-La; thats how I did it!:icon_thum Mine have been moved turned changed and ect...ect...ect...:icon_thum seems like every time i added a new tool it was time to reconfigure EVERYTHING.:rotflm: enjoy the journey. the end result is worth the effort.:icon_cheers

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I started out with six, 4' two bulb T8 fixtures and quickly added six more. My fixtures are hanging from short chains screwed to the ceiling. I have reconfigured about 4 times so far, and will be moving them around again as soon as I finish (start) my assembly table.

I had switched outlets wired into the ceiling and plug the lights into those, so moving them around is a little easier.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Mark,
Good point. Since I will be reconfiguring as I grow in experience the outlets vice hardwiring is an excellent consideration.
Thanks,
Tim

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Tim,

I agree with Chris on the number and placement. I don't think the reflectors will make a difference since you're going to paint the ceiling white. I would wire each 1/2 row to a switch... 4 switches total.

bobby g

I am all about the switched outlets and also the T8 lights

I would but the bulb covers on each bulb cause you never know when you are going to move a board and take out a light and this will help protect you and maybe save a bulb from breaking

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
+1 on Bobby's post using multiple switches. My shop has two banks of lights on separate switches and there are a lot of times I only use on bank.

I also have a 3rd switch for the ceiling fans boxes I installed.

Glennbear

Glenn
Apparently before I read this post all the suggestions I was going to make were already given.:gar-La; White paint, outlets instead of hard wiring, multiple switching, were all techniques I used when lamping my 24x24 shop. The only thing I would add is to choose your bulbs carefully since they DO vary in light output and color rendition (CRI) The only modification I have to make now is to add a couple flush mount fixtures on my 8 foot ceiling where the overhead door comes up since the hanging fixtures would not clear the door. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS