Duct tape failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
For years I've been using 3M duct tape for clamping thin moldings etc. I like it because it stretches, so a reasonable amount of pressure can be applied on thin wood. Lately, I've run into a problem - the tape doesn't stick. It's fine when first applied, but checking on it a few minutes later, it has come loose. I tried a couple of new rolls with the same result. I've tried in on other surfaces, like metal, and again it comes loose. I've given up on using it and hope someone can lead me to a better tape - one that will stay stuck.

Ernie

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Green gardening tape. Comes in 3/4 or 1 1/2 wide and it stretches. Some call it gardening ribbon.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Probably a bad lot on the adhesive run, unless 3M changed their formula. Duct tape has (or at least it used to have) the most aggressive type of adhesive, natural rubber, which is why it normally holds better and costs more. You can try packaging tape as Alan suggested. If you decide to try packaging tape, look for acrylic adhesive, as I think it would meet your needs better than hot melt. The best way to tell the difference is that acrylic tape (with a clear liner) will be clear, while hot melt will have a yellowish tint to it.

jhreed

New User
james
are you getting 3M brand? We were forced to use a different brand because of national contracts and the non 3M would not stick to itself.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
are you getting 3M brand? We were forced to use a different brand because of national contracts and the non 3M would not stick to itself.

Yes, I'm using 3M - at least I think I am. Now that you mention it, I'm wondering if the 3M tape sold at the borg is the same quality as from other vendors. I'm going to buy some from a small local hardware store and see if it's any different.

By the way, the tape I'm using sticks to itself really, really well. The adhesive seems to be quite strong, and yet it doesn't stay stuck to anything but itself.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I am not doing anything of your quality but, I use blue or green painters tape on my small, mitered boxes. Works fine.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I like the green 3M #233 masking tape. It's mainly used for auto bodywork and can be found in the auto parts store. It uses a rubber adhesive and the crepe base has some "give" to it so it can be really cinched down. It also doesn't pose a lot of danger to finished surfaces if you have to leave it on for a while.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I haven’t tried it on wood, but I switched to Gorilla brand duck tape. Very strong and sticks well to plastic, metal, glass, etc.

The adhesive is a little gummy and may take some effort to remove from raw wood.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I haven’t tried it on wood, but I switched to Gorilla brand duck tape. Very strong and sticks well to plastic, metal, glass, etc.

The adhesive is a little gummy and may take some effort to remove from raw wood.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I've ordered some Gorilla Black duct tape and some 3m 233 green masking tape. When they arrive, I'll try a very unscientific experiment to see how well they work for me. I'll take some photos of the successes and/or failures.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
for strong applications carpet tape can work too. remove residue with denatured alcohol. Personally I like mechanical force better - have you tried bicycle inner tubes? I use them as clamps all the time for irregular shapes - no clean up!

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
for strong applications carpet tape can work too. remove residue with denatured alcohol. Personally I like mechanical force better - have you tried bicycle inner tubes? I use them as clamps all the time for irregular shapes - no clean up!

Actually, I use carpet tape a lot. I'm sure inner tubes would work well, but in this instance, it's a lot quicker to use small pieces of duct tape as shown below. I'm gluing a strip of arcades onto the front edge of a keyboard using duct tape. You can see the third piece from the left beginning to lift up and lose its grip on the wood.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1-26.gif
    1-26.gif
    162.1 KB · Views: 241

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Gorilla Tape holds like it's riveted to the material; I recommend it too.

I know it does, and that's why I may not be able to use it. These arcades and moldings are pre-finished before installation. I need a tape strong enough to clamp them in place while the glue dries, but not so strong that it will lift finish off. Let's see what happens when I test the tapes.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Then blue painters tape may be the best choice; the blue has the best holding properties and won’t lift the finish. Green painters tape has less gripping power and yellow even less. When I assemble boxes etc., blue is what I use

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Wow - thanks guys! So many options. How come I picked the only one that doesn't stick.:rotflm:

Rick M

New User
Rick
Love this guy's videos, he does a good job testing products to see how well they perform.

Which Duct Tape Brand is the Best? Let's find out!

[video=youtube;UbXy3c2oAfA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbXy3c2oAfA[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS