Drywall or OSB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Couch

New User
Update your profile with your name
I just assumed that I would put up drywall in my shop when I finish the insulation, but I see from the gallerys here that some of you use OSB.
What are the pros and cons?
I would appreciate your comments.
Ken

Monty

New User
Monty
Don't know the price difference between the two. With OSB, I think you can screw things to the wall pretty much anywhere instead of having to find a stud (as long as it's not TOO heavy). Drywall you have to tape and mud the seams. That's all I can think of.

Whatever you choose, paint it white. It will improve the brightness of your shop considerably!

R

rickc

I went schizophrenic! I put drywall up on one side, then went with the "hardi-plank" type panels on the other. My rational - I spent a lot time taping and sanding the mud, then multiple coats of primer BEFORE putting the final coat on. When I got done, it looked ok - a few splotches, but hey it was a garage shop, right? Right up until the time I moved a ladder, it slipped and put a real nice pyramid shaped dent in the wall!!! That reminded me that I would probably not feel real good about the first time I had a piece of wood really hit the wall hard!

I then decided to go something heavier, and tried the paneling. It was already primed, so all I had to do was nail it up. Of course, it is very heavy, but I haven't dented it yet, and it looks fine. Plus - all of my "fitting" was restricted to electrical outlets. Everything else was a standard panel until the end. It does take a nail pretty good, but if I were going to be nailing a lot of heavy weight bearing items it might not be the best solution. I went with a beveled hanger system, and was able to attach to studs easily. If I were doing a shop in the house, or really wanted it to be a showplace, I would find another option, though.

But no matter what you select, - as stated earlier - paint it white! Really nice being able to see what I am cutting. "Lefty" is not a nickname I want to be called!
:saw:

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Ditto on the OSB. It is nice being able to attach stuff to the wall anywhere you like. And paint it white, bright white, you will enjoy the brightness it brings to your shop. Only problem with OSB is that you need to prime it with a stain killer like Killz so the lettering and such does not bleed through the paint.

I have a friend who painted the walls white and then put that white 1/4" tempered hardboard stuff on the ceiling. It is reflective and really lightened up the shop.

Ken Couch

New User
Insomniac, Rick & Mike

Thanks for your input. Wood panels of about any kind cost more than drywall, but to hang a lot of stuff up on drywall I guess I'd have to add wood of some kind anyway which would of corse bring the cost up.
I never thought of painting the walls white to brighten up the place.
Glad I asked. Still thinking though.
Ken

R

rickc

Do you by any chance get Wood magazine? They have a neat wall hanging system where you use 1x4 stock, essentially cut in half at a 45 degree angle. Two strips are atached attached to the wall about 20" apart, running parallel to each other. They then have all sorts of wall hanging items such as cabinets, sandpaper holder, etc. to which they attach other strips. This gives the capability to easily hang, and rearrange your shop as it suits you. See what I am talking about at:

http://us.st8.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/woodstore_1861_8324733

Will also show you what they used in their Idea Shop #5. (Looks nice even if they DIDN'T paint it white.)

Hope this helps.

Ken Couch

New User
Rick

That's a really fabulous idea! I might very well use that.

I think that's what they call a French cleat. It would be perfect for over drywall, and cheap too.
Thanks
Ken

sapwood

New User
Roger
Ken,

Another vote here for OSB or even cheap plywood (3/:cool: :)

I agree with all of the above suggestions: durability, paintability, and price. I used the cheapest plywood I could find, put it up with screws, and painted with "oops" paint from the borg. The nice thing about the plywood and screws is that it's easy to remove. It made life a lot easier when I had to rewire some receptables and a sub panel. :-D

Sapwood

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Yep, French cleats it is....I have my miter saws hanging on the wall that way. When I want one I take it down, drop it in the bench and saw away. I have a bench with a hole in it. The saws are attached to plywood bases that are sized to fit in the hole in the bench and rest on cleats. You can hang anything using that method. And move it somewhere else if you decide that it is in the wrong place....;-)

Ken Couch

New User
Sapwood

Good tip on the screws, I'll keep that in mind. Then I could add DC hose or what ever behind the wall.

Big Mike
That is a really clever way of using the cleat idea.

Thanks to all. This is a great help.

Ken

HammerToe

New User
John Iovine
rcorne01 said:
Do you by any chance get Wood magazine? They have a neat wall hanging system where you use 1x4 stock, essentially cut in half at a 45 degree angle. Two strips are atached attached to the wall about 20" apart, running parallel to each other. They then have all sorts of wall hanging items such as cabinets, sandpaper holder, etc. to which they attach other strips. This gives the capability to easily hang, and rearrange your shop as it suits you. See what I am talking about at:

http://us.st8.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/woodstore_1861_8324733

Will also show you what they used in their Idea Shop #5. (Looks nice even if they DIDN'T paint it white.)

Hope this helps.

I am in the middle/beginning...end would be nice, of my Garage/Shop make over and using the French Cleats. I have to say, awesome.

I redid my garage in Drywall and put of the cleats. If I ever sell my place, I can take the cabinets with me. Plus, I get nice clean wall and the little miss gets the finished look. If I had a dedicated shop then I would do the OSB but since it is part of the house I decieded to use Drywall. Get a friend to help with the drywall, I put up 12 sheets of the 12FT pieces, by myself, talk about pain.

Ken Couch

New User
Hi Hammer Toe

Great bunch here I think you will enjoy your time spent on this site.

Now that my wiring and insulation is done I am forced to make a decision, and I guess it will be drywall and French cleats, but now way I can an old coot like me do 12' sheets by myself. You must be a big strong ole boy!:p

Ken

HammerToe

New User
John Iovine
Ken Couch said:
Hi Hammer Toe

Great bunch here I think you will enjoy your time spent on this site.

Now that my wiring and insulation is done I am forced to make a decision, and I guess it will be drywall and French cleats, but now way I can an old coot like me do 12' sheets by myself. You must be a big strong ole boy!:p

Ken

Maybe my name should have been thickheaded... Not something I ever wish to do again.

woodguy1975

New User
John
If you have a larger budget go with slatwall. That is the stuff I have in my shop floor to ceiling. You can get it in white and can hang anything anywhere. It is expensive though. It runs about $40 a sheet for the cheaper melamine covered stuff. The maple veneer stuff I have in my assembly area is like $100 a sheet.

It sure is handy though. I have a box of hooks so can have tools where I need them. I have longer brackets that I can put up for temporary drying racks when I spray cabinet parts.

Thanks,

John

Ken Couch

New User
John

Sounds like a cool system, but I am already way over my budget. You are making me jealous, I have seen the stuff you are talking about, and it even looks fabulous.
I look forward to meeting you and hopefully seeing your shop.
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS