Dry Wall mud

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Does anyone know if you can patch the old plaster with dry wall mud? We are working on an old house where the paint has peeled off of the walls and the plaster has cracked in alot of places - what is the best way to patch this

Glennbear

Glenn
YMMV however my last house had plaster walls and I fixed some cracks by mixing in some plaster of paris with lightweight spackling compound. Sanded it when cured and a final skim coat of unadulterated lightweight spackling compound. Messy, but it worked.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Boss decided to go with "Water Puddy" it is hard as a brick when it dries - I don't think it is going to work in some of the places but will work in most - his call:dontknow:

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I repair plaster all the time with joint compound. Sands a lot easier than spackling, and a lot easier to work with than water puddy. No mixing , it's cheap and less chance of sag. Use the self sticking fibreglass mesh tape for cracks and for large areas I use a 3' x 25' role of mesh that goes up like wallpaper. A good repair should hold up for about 10 years. The repairs on my plaster walls are in their 10th year and still aren't showing themselves, though a couple of new ones have appeared (but the house is soon to turn 90).
Water puddy is good for nail holes or other small holes.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Well we ditched the water puddy idea and went with 1/4 dry wall over the old wall - I am not a dry wall finisher and I really hate putting that tape and mud on :BangHead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors