Dry spots in Finish

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
David, I do not know if the product you use has silicon or not, but if it does, it is not just the overspray that is a problem. Use of silicon-based product on any surface that comes in contact with wood used in your project (table saw, planner, jointer, etc.) can result in contamination. There are various products that can be used on these surfaces that do not contain silicon, I use Johnson Paste Wax.

drchristian

New User
David
David, I do not know if the product you use has silicon or not, but if it does, it is not just the overspray that is a problem. Use of silicon-based product on any surface that comes in contact with wood used in your project (table saw, planner, jointer, etc.) can result in contamination. There are various products that can be used on these surfaces that do not contain silicon, I use Johnson Paste Wax.
I just went brain dead and used a product I picked up at Lowes, I have a can of glidecoat on the back of the self in my shop. Now I get to wipe everything down with some mineral spirits and put on some glidecoat or paste wax. If I could kick my own butt, I would.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Don't beat yourself up David. We all are learning something everyday.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Well, I checked the MSDS for Silicone and it’s not listed. Of course, I’m no chemist so maybe silicone doesn’t get listed on the MSDS.

Another page compared the Teflon PTFE to Silicone, but still don’t know the answer.:oops:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
There is no silicone in that product, but it does contain teflon which may be just as detrimental to your finishing effort. Both silicone and teflon are non-toxic so they're not required to be listed in the MSDS. It's still strange to me that that only this one shelf is being problematic and everything else on both pieces seems to be okay.

I just had an epiphany, I bet I know where the contamination is coming from. A couple times a week I coat my tool cast surfaces with a rust inhibitor, lubricant. It is in a spay can. I did not cover my project and I bet some over spray got on the raw wood. My project was pieces were probably close enough to get contaminated. I'll bet the spray contains silicon.

drchristian

New User
David
The
There is no silicone in that product, but it does contain teflon which may be just as detrimental to your finishing effort. Both silicone and teflon are non-toxic so they're not required to be listed in the MSDS. It's still strange to me that that only this one shelf is being problematic and everything else on both pieces seems to be okay.

The tops which was sprayed was the first machined parts and I suspect that the contaminate was the worst on those. They were cut and surfaced a couple weeks before the rest which was finished with a wipe on poly. I suspect that if they were sprayed they would have exhibited the same issues. The top first coat was also a wipe on Minwax poly wipe on and I did not see an issue with that, just when it was sprayed. It is all a guess, but I assure you I will be more careful from now on. I did find another can of protectorate that said it had silicone in it ,and I might have used it. It is in the garbage now. I'll never have anything with silicone in my shop again. Thank for your help.

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm confused.
It is only on one shelf on one table.
I don't know which parts did or did not get a silicone overspray to contaminate them. Just one shelf I guess and everything else is fine?

[QUOTE="drchristian, post: 620856, member: 11141"

The tops which was sprayed was the first machined parts and I suspect that the contaminate was the worst on those. They were cut and surfaced a couple weeks before the rest which was finished with a wipe on poly. I suspect that if they were sprayed they would have exhibited the same issues. The top first coat was also a wipe on Minwax poly wipe on and I did not see an issue with that, just when it was sprayed. It is all a guess, but I assure you I will be more careful from now on. I did find another can of protectorate that said it had silicone in it ,and I might have used it. It is in the garbage now. I'll never have anything with silicone in my shop again. Thank for your help.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS