dry kiln from an old dishwasher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I need to dry some small pieces of spalted maple and my daughter has an old dishwasher - is there away I can use this dishwasher to make a kiln?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I need to dry some small pieces of spalted maple and my daughter has an old dishwasher - is there away I can use this dishwasher to make a kiln?

All safety and risks of fire aside... I don't see how a dishwasher has enough air flow to dry lumber - it has enough heat but not air flow.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I have seen the collage dorm room fridges used in combination with a 100 watt light buld, but i never saw one from a dishwasher

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
You can dry it in the microwave. I dont suggest doing it in the one you use inside the house. Might find a cheap one on craigslist. It makes a terrible smell. It works though.

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
I have been using an old dead dishwasher for 2 years to dry roughed out bowls, etc. Just put a 40 or 60 watt bulb in an outlet such as an old lamp or a fixture lke we used to hang under the hood of our cars when working on them at night. I took out some of the fingers of the dryer racks to give me more room for bowls. bowls usually go in top rack, light in bottom rack. Plug in lamp, turn on lamp, close door, wait, check bowl. I usually write date on bowl and rotate it about every third day. You can also weigh on kitchen scales, record weight, let dry 2 - 3 days, weigh, record, let dry until two consecutive weights are equal. Bowl is dry. This technique has even closed cracks that were beginning in the bowl when I put it in the dryer. Dishwasher is already vented so you just need a heat source.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
You can dry it in the microwave. I dont suggest doing it in the one you use inside the house. Might find a cheap one on craigslist. It makes a terrible smell. It works though.

got a microwave?

LOL guys I have had my round with the microwave route ans my wife didn't like it - these pieces will be to big for the MW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS