Drop front desk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Beautiful piece, Willem. Can you tell us more about the wood and the finish?

Bill

Thx Bill, Cherry outer with Maple inner. The casework is Cherry veneer core ply, with Maple veneer core ply for the back, bases and dividers. Outer hardwood trim in Cherry and inner as well as all drawer boxes in Maple (Chris supplied the hardwoods). Finish is lacquer with a WB poly floor finish on the drop front working surface. Total time if I count all the hours around 7 full working days. For the finish, I was surprised I sprayed about 1 3/4 gallons, a lot of surface to cover inner and outer. Had to spray most of the inner parts prior to assembly and tape off the glue areas.

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nicely done. It looks like the Blum cabinet hinges worked out okay in the bottom pull out section. How'd you finesse that fix and allow clearance for the side mount slides too? :icon_scra

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow. Love the continuous grain and the use of darker stiles. That cherry is only going to get prettier with age.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Nicely done. It looks like the Blum cabinet hinges worked out okay in the bottom pull out section. How'd you finesse that fix and allow clearance for the side mount slides too? :icon_scra

The Blum hinges with soft close worked out really nice, with easy adjustment to align the door. I followed Blum's drawings on a mock-up first, using 1/4 ply jigs and everything worked out to specification. Installed the door first then sized the slide-out shelf and fitted the Blum undermount slides with soft close, to give me 1/16" clearance both between right face-frame and the open door on the left. On the filing drawers, I used Accuride slides with soft close, very pleased with how all the hardware worked out.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Self design using Solidworks, so the customer could see in 3D exactly what she will be getting.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nicely done.:icon_thum The dark hardware really shows off some beautiful cherry!

Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS