Drill Won't Reverse

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
All of a sudden, my battery operated impactor won't reverse. The switch slides just fine but when I press the button, nothing happens. It goes forward perfectly. I found one article on the Internet that says I have to "crack the case" and check out a bunch of stuff. Has this happened to anyone else and were you able to fix it? Before I open it up and possibly make the situation worse (since I won't know what I'm doing), just thought I'd check.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Susan no clue how to help but you might get some feedback if you included the make and size of the driver.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Most likely a bad switch or loose wire you could take the switch out and test it with a multimeter to be sure. If bad order a new one from the manufacturer.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
It's a Bosch impactor.

Jeff, I understood the words but not the concept. I have no idea what to do with my multimeter. I missed that class when I took auto mechanics so I have one, I just don't know what to do with it. I will go ahead and take the drill apart and see if any wire is loose.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

zzdodge

New User
zz
I have not worked on a Bosch Impactor, but I have seen a year of weekends worth of DeWalts, PC and other drills. Normally, for what you are describing, there is a separate switch for reversing, which flips the motor polarity. There will also be a switch for the trigger, to make the motor turn.

Before disassembling, I would get the parts diagram for the parts diagram from the Bosch website or a place like ereplacementparts.com. Actually, that site has a forum, where there are often contributors who are very knowledgeable about specific power tools.

Another advantage of getting the parts breakdown, is that you can identify the cost of the suspected part before you go hacking into the case. For some controls, the cost of the control or switch can exceed the cost of a second unit. [Such was the case with a Mikita Tek Screw Gun I had, and as a result I simply bought a similar gun which was priced less than the parts I needed. Through some quirk, I now have two of them working, but it comes in real handy when helping with a deck build or similar project.]

In summary, get a parts breakdown, as it will give you information on the parts, and sometimes on the dis-assembly, before you dig in. Secondly, check out a tool repair forum, as some of the contributors are tech who fix these tools every day, and are very knowledgeable.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Before disassembling, try blowing out the switch with compressed air (canned air with the thin nozzle tube works wqell for this). I have problems with my Bosch router getting clogged with dusty,. Usually a squirt of air fixes things right up.

Also, some times a little shot of WD-40 into the switch will free up the contacts. Don't do this if you are contemplating warranty action

JMTCW

Go

wwidmer

New User
Bill
+1 on first trying cleaning with compressed air, WD40 and compressed air followup. Work the switch without battery. Let the WD40 evaporate before trying the drill with power - WD40 & a spark do not go well together.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
No, I didn't. I got an email saying my inbox was full so I went and cleaned it out. Your email probably hit during the "full" period. Sorry.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Susan, they make a spray ELECTRONIC CONTACT CLEANER, blow out with air, spray it good with the cleaner, let it evap for a minute or two, quik air blast, run it in the direction it wants to then reverse it and see if that fixed it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors