Drill Press, How much to get and how much to spend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Have both a 15" floor model, and 8" table top one. Can't remember the last time i used the floor model.

For many years I wondered why I was the only WWer I knew without a drill press. So I picked up a little benchtop, used, for $40. I still wonder why I'm the only one without a BIG drill press (except for Bruce). While I do wish it had less run-out and have occasionally wanted more quill travel or slower speeds, I've never wanted for more throat depth or more power. I have considered a radial-arm press many times...never bit the bullet because I never really needed it. I've considered a larger press many times...but again never really needed it. You might want to get something small and cheap to start...if you're like me, you many never need any more than that.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Ok so I am getting my shop put together and the last large piece, for now, is a drill press. I am really struggling with what direction to go here. I am currently looking hard at 2 models from Grizzly. The 34" radial head floor model and the 20" fixed head floor press. They both have different advantages and disadvantages and I'm not sure how to make up my mind.

The Radial has a 34" swing which would be handy for getting large pieces into and has much nice price at about $375 delivered. My worry with it is stability and keeping the head and table perpendicular, there are a lot of round parts to move and twist. It also has a very small table but that can be fixed with jigs.

Then there is the 20" floor press, I looked at a 17" but for only $100 difference I would have to go for the 20". Best I can tell it is built like a tank and other than tipping it over there is pretty much no way you could ever damage it while doing any kind of wood working. The big advantage is that along with being pretty much indestructible it also would be heavy enough for metal work and will accept mortising attachments and standard mill chucks for using as a milling machine. Down side it the price tag, $800 delivered, still not terrible but a lot more than $375.

The Mrs says get the big one if I will never have to by another later on which in some ways makes an even tougher choice :rolleyes:. They never say that.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these presses. I am leaning to the 20" but the $400 difference would pay for other toys so I would love to hear what others have to say.

Dave, I currently have three drill presses, and have had additional ones in the past. Here is my 2 cents.

First, although I am a big Grizzly fan, I don't care for their woodworking drill presses. They are just not precision, quality tools - unlike most of their Extreme Duty or Z-series products. I currently own their large (1 hp) Radial Arm drill press (G9969), and have not used it in over a year.

For metal working, my Ellis 9400 is superb, and I love it for it's precision and power. However, it's way overkill for woodworking.

After vacillating for a year between the 1 hp VS Powermatic PM 2800A and the 3/4 hp long quill Delta 18-900L, I ended up buying the Delta for the woodshop and cannot be more pleased with it. It is an excellent, accurate drill press for woodworking. Although you have to change the belt in order to change the speed, typically I leave it on one of the slower settings and it is rare that I've ever had to change the speed.

Do yourself a favor and check out the Powermatic 2800B and the Delta 18-900. The newer Powermatic has the same 6" stroke as the Delta and both are excellent woodworking drill presses.

Or - see if you can pick up some old American Iron and rebuild it.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
What small and cheap drill press would you recommend? I have an old Craftsman floor model in my storage room. It looks like something is wrong on the linkage mechanism at the top. (When the time comes, I'll take some pictures and ask for help here.)

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I just went out to the storage building to look at the drill press I inherited from my father. It's a King Seely/Craftsman Model 100 floor model. It looks like the one on the right in the picture below.

after1.jpg

The linkage at the top doesn't seem right. Does anyone in the Raleigh area know how to work on these? I'd like to find out if it's worth getting going again. It has been somewhat restored in that the painted portion has been repainted.

DaveD

New User
Dave
That should be a adequate, general use, drill press.

Got a picture of the 'linkage'? Seems to me all it would have is some kind of swivel plate for the motor and a quick and dirty way to lock the belt tension(s). That's all my 40+ year old craftsman has. There's not much to those types of drill presses.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I am taking a leap here, but the drill on the right seems to have an intermediate set of Pulleys. If I am correct this is know as a MultiSpeed or Lospeed setup. It has an eccentric bushing for the purpose of adjusting the belt. Is this the linkage you are referring to?

If it is, check out this thread http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...efurbishing-old-craftsman-drill-press-196932/

and this http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/homemade-low-speed-conversion-craftsman-drill-press-220616.html

If you don't want to mess with it and need the floorspace let me know.:)

DaveD

New User
Dave
Be careful of the Practical Machinist site. They typically don't take kindly to non professionals over there and above all do not even think of mentioning newbie, home hobby shop, or third world manufactured equipment. Having said that, they are a wealth of information you can learn from by just reading their forums.

wwidmer

New User
Bill
Be careful of the Practical Machinist site. They typically don't take kindly to non professionals over there and above all do not even think of mentioning newbie, home hobby shop, or third world manufactured equipment. Having said that, they are a wealth of information you can learn from by just reading their forums.

The OWWM (OWWM.org) welcomes newbie & the members there also have a wealth of information as long as the machine is older (I think the rule is at least 25 years or no longer made) and American or European made. Discussion of Asian made machines is not allowed, but not a problem in the case of your older King Seely/Craftsman DP. Nothing wrong with those old Craftsman drill presses, with some work you should be able get her going like new again. They are also a good source for older parts you might need.

Good luck in getting the problem resolved

Cavetoad

New User
Dan
Ok, so after much consideration and a lot of searching I finally decided to go in a completely different direction. Rather than buying new and trying to decide how much to spend on what size and type of drill press I went out on CL and found this beauty. It is a 16" 1/2 hp, it was a little rough looking when I picked it up but the bearings and motor were good so for $85 and some elbow grease I now have very nice and functional drill press and I can use use the $400 I saved to but towards wood and other toys for the shop.P1010576.JPGP1010574.JPG

wwidmer

New User
Bill
Good find! It should serve you well & you can always keep your eye out for when a nice used 20"er comes along for a good price should your yen for a larger one persist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors