Drawknife recommendations

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
Hello all,
I've recently started some greenwood spoon carving. Plan on building a shaving horse/ spoon mule soon and wanted to ask advice on buying a drawknife. I have been watching ebay wanting to just buy a vintage drawknife but not sure which to get. Which brand, straight or curved, length or other factors I may not even know to consider. Anyone on here got some advice for this newbie? Also shave horse plans. Found Michigan Sloyd's spoon mule plans for the shave horse and thought that may be the one to build. Any advice on that would be great as well. Thanks!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
A trip to Ed's used tools in Pittsboro might be a good starting point. I'm sure he has lots to choose from. See which ones fit your hands the best and are comfortable to use. I would start w/ a fairly inexpensive one and see how it goes. Then upgrade to the "perfect" one later.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have 5 or 6 drawknives and a couple shave horses if you want to drive over and try them out sometime.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have 5 or 6 drawknives and a couple shave horses if you want to drive over and try them out sometime.
Sam,
If you do take Mike up on his offer (which I highly suggest) and he doesn't have one to sell or if you don't find one at Ed Lebetkin's, I do have a few (curved back, flat back, folding handles etc.) for you to choose from

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Are you going to rive/split your spoon stock from green wood?

I have a straight drawknife from Lee-Nielsen with a 7" long blade.

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/lie-nielsen-7in-drawknife.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lVMcFjoOL4

I made a this shave horse for general purpose use from this plan (attached) which could work for spoon carving work.

P10100082.png

I'm in Rougemont so send an email if you want to stop by and look at both items.

Last edited:

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
Hello Jeff, I think I will have to stop by to see your setup. Also, I didn't see the plans attached to your post or maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Thanks.

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
Mike, Thanks for the offer. Jeff's place is just down the road so I'll check out his setup. I would like to come by your place someday to have you teach me some handtool basics. Maybe get you to show me how you carve a spoon and sharpen you tools. Thanks!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Hello Jeff, I think I will have to stop by to see your setup. Also, I didn't see the plans attached to your post or maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Thanks.

They didn't upload and attach for some reason.

Try FineWoodworking, Tim Manney, "Build a Thoroughbred Shaving Horse", July/August 2017.

Email or PM me for my address and telephone number. You're welcome to come this weekend or next Monday or Tuesday.

Last edited:

Steven Mikes

New User
Steven
Lee Valley sells an Austrian-made drawknife, has worked great for me so far. I looked into vintage drawknives but the prices seem almost the same as buying a new one.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Lee Valley sells an Austrian-made drawknife, has worked great for me so far. I looked into vintage drawknives but the prices seem almost the same as buying a new one.
I haven't looked at new ones. Most of mine sell in the $35-50 range. I have three for sale now.

So, I just looked at Jeff's link, most are over $100. Mine just went up. I think $60-75 is fair...

Jeff

New User
Jeff
My drawknife is a Lee-Nielsen (about $200) and I have another one from Lee Valley (about $74, made in France) which I don't like very much. The handles and shape are awkward in my hands. The Austrian drawknife that Steven has is also from Lee Valley ($50).

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS