Drawing to wood

stevenross

steven
User
I have a drawing/plan for a deck chair (2 or 3 of same design) I plan to make. My thought is to put pattern onto thin cardboard and then trace onto the wood prior to cutting. Is there an easier process? TIA

Skymaster

New User
Jack
If you own a bandsaw: put patterns on 1/2 ply and make masters, then ruff pcs on BS tack masters on ruff and use router bearing bit and just zip em out. This way you have patterns for many many more if desired. Same thing but you can do on router table also

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
How big is this. Scroll sawers do this all the time. That is applying a design on wood. The easiest way is to photo copy the design. Then spray the paper with 3M Super 77 or similar products. After cutting you remove the pattern with mineral spirits. Another option is to use carbon paper and trace it.

stevenross

steven
User
thanks all - I just bought a bandsaw so this will be the trial run - I expect to have some new scrap fire wood.. Makes sense to me how to make a pattern. Now if I had CNC.............but

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
In what form is your drawing/plan? If you have it in a PDF form, you could perhaps send it to your local Staples or OfficeMax and have them print it on larger paper.

I regularly make full size plans for furniture so that patterns can be lifted right off the sheet. For example this is from the plan for a chair by Michael Fortune.

I've turned of layers for dimensions and text just for clarity. In this case there's the full size patterns for the rear leg and the seat upright and the bending form for the front leg/armrest. The front and rear stretchers are also shown at full size. This isn't very difficult to do and would be well worth it for many projects.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I have a drawing/plan for a deck chair (2 or 3 of same design) I plan to make. My thought is to put pattern onto thin cardboard and then trace onto the wood prior to cutting. Is there an easier process? TIA

Lots of good advice in this thread. Make your pattern exactly to the piece. You should be able to just tape it to your working piece. Trace it onto your working piece. Band saw outside the lines by about 1/8". Restick the pattern to the piece and rout to exact shape. Final sand should be a breeze. I endorse using 1/2" plywood or MDF to make a pattern. The extra thickness makes a better guide surface for the bearing on a router pattern bit. I attach my pattern to the working stock with double sided tape, aka carpet tape.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS