Drawer Slide Length

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
I'm planning on replacing the worn, noisy epoxy drawer slides in my kitchen with K&V side-mount, self-close slides (8400 Series). The drawer boxes are 21 7/8" deep measured from the back of the overlay fronts. The distance from the face of the cabinet frame to the board upon which the builder mounted the slide rear bracket is right at 22 1/4".

Is my thinking correct that I need to drop down to a 20" slide as 22" might be too long? If so, then shouldn't I opt for the K&V Model 8419 slides that have 1" over-travel, rather than the Model 8417s that are mere "full extension"? (My kingdom for a 21" slide.)

Thanks, gang. I'm sure this is obvious to y'all but given the expense of buying all these slides I really don't want to mess this up.

Last edited:

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Yes, you will use a 20” slide. Over travel sides are not necessary if you’re concerned about slide being too short.

How far the slide travels out is determined by where you mount the slide to the cabinet box toward the drawer front. The KV instructions provide measurements for how far back from the face frame to mount the slide to the drawer sides.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
That does make sense. Awesome. Oddly, this is the first time I'm finding slides for a drawer, rather than drawers for the slides (ie slide length plus one inch gives you drawer depth to build).

Thank you, my friend.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS