Drawer dividers

Bonanza

New User
David
This is my second post and if you didn't see the first one just assume you are talking to a 10 year old. One of my future projects will be creating some drawer dividers. I have some crappy plastic bins in a bathroom drawer and they are almost useless. I am thinking about creating some drawer dividers and was hoping someone who had done it before had some advice for me. Wood type? Maybe 1/4" x 2.5" poplar? Any other thoughts before I make some sawdust?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I made a couple for the LOML’s new kitchen cabinets. Used scrap 1/4” and 3/8” red oak with simple joinery and a 1/4” oak plywood bottoms. Simple project and much, much cheaper than purchasing them commercially. (I demensioned based on the drawer sizes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 203
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 203

Bonanza

New User
David
I made a couple for the LOML’s new kitchen cabinets. Used scrap 1/4” and 3/8” red oak with simple joinery and a 1/4” oak plywood bottoms. Simple project and much, much cheaper than purchasing them commercially. (I demensioned based on the drawer sizes.

Thanks for the pictures. That will help.

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
Good suggestions all around - this is a must-do exercise for developing accuracy of both layout and execution. Will aid your efforts in so many other ideas...

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Post a picture of the current "crappy" dividers in the bathroom drawer with the dimensions. That'll help us see what you have now. Do you want the same number of dividers?

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Steve's design and final project may be fine, but his technique for cutting dadoes on his table saw leaves a lot to be desired. That little finger holding down the wood being cut. Ouch.

Roy G

Bonanza

New User
David
@Bill - that a darn nice piece of furniture. I hope I can do something like that someday.

@Jeff - here is a couple of pictures. I don't care about the number of dividers per se, I just want it to be neater with everything having a place. I am sure it will be a pain in the tail for the result achieved. In Steve's design he mentioned starting with the biggest items and working back from there.

The bathroom drawer is 21 wide by 16 deep
The kitchen drawer is 18 wide by 20.5 deep

Attachments

• P1040740.JPG
    P1040740.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 149
  • P1040741.JPG
    P1040741.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 160

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS