Drafting program

MarkDarby

Mark
Corporate Member
Hello,

Anyone know of a free drafting app for drawing woodworking prints. I use to use Sketchup free. But now, it’s not usable on my Mac. All dimensions are mirrored back wards and the program doesn’t work like it use to. I’m looking for something simple. I don’t have a drafting table or I’d do it there as I have an associates degree in mechanical drafting. I’ve looked at some of the free downloads but they’re way more than I want to deal with and a lot say try it then they want you to buy it. I don’t want to have to pay $100 a year for something simple and basic. Any help appreciate. I like the push pull etc on SketchUp, something similar would be nice.

Maine Guide
Hi Maine,
I've used SketchUp free on my Mac for the last several years. I've never had an issue. I recently upgraded and purchase their package. I've also used, to a much lesser extent, Fusion360. You can get a free version of that.

Hello,
Thanks for the input. I am able now to use SketchUp free without issues and have a cheat sheet to use on my computer using the keyboard. It seems to work well and save time. Occasionally I have to use the side bar, but it’s better now and the dimensions are like they’re supposed to be.

John

Mountain City Bill

Mountain City Bill
Corporate Member
For those familiar with Solidworks, the cloud based cost is $100/year. Personal use.

For me, it's worth it. I used it at my job, and I can open my files from years ago. ( Not that I spent my time at work drawing woodworking plans) 😁

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I have been using DeltaCad for almost 20 years. It's 2D (not 3D) but so is that side of my drafting brain.

Most CAD programs have a fairly steep learning curve. DeltaCad has a built-in tutorial where you draw a five-function calculator and I periodically go back to it and usually pick up something.

Initial price is a flat $39.95 and occasional upgrades are $29.95. These days, I consider anything that costs less than a tank of gas affordable. Both Winduhs and Mac versions are available. I run the Winduhs version on Linux via Oracle’s VirtualBox. A 30-day free trial is available.

As an example, here is a partial layout of the X-cross in my tall vise design that I drew with DeltaCad. Also, the 2021 tall vise drawings in the resources section on this site were drawn with DeltaCad.
View attachment 213875
Unfortunately, DeltaCad is out of business. I've tried several alternatives and none are as simple as DeltaCad. The best I've found so far is LibreCad. It's a free program so you might as well give it a try.

I use fusion 360 when I want to design something for the CNC, but for my woodworking projects other than CNC, I use sketchlist and it works on a mac. I won't say it's the best design software I could ever imagine. But I can say everytime I have a question or complaint, Dave, the owner personally responds and is very helpful.

From a how useful is it perspective, I tried to use sketchup but I was already kind of self-taught on Sketchlist and I just found it easier to stick with Sketchlist. What I like about it is that I can see my build in 3d and see things that either won't work or I need to reconsider in my design. I have learned along the way the amount of time I spend in the design phase is probably 5 to 10 times longer than the build phase. And I appreciate that i have very good confidence what I'm building is going to be pleasing as well as fulfill it's function.

i think the big claim to fame that they pitch is the cut list that comes with the pro version. My .02 is that it's nice but it's a pain in the neck to understand how the software orients your boards (based on grain direction) and if you don't get that right, your cut list is worthless.

In my opinion it's a lilttle on the pricey side but I bought it when it was cheaper and Dave gives me a pretty decent upgrade price or at least just enough to keep me as a customer.

Please don't mistake this as a post for advertising. Just giving the pros and cons of what i managed to go with.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I still use and old copy of quick-cad. 2D. Probably because I know how to use it. For my woodworking, I just sketch. I did a lot of British car electrical schematics with it.
I don't do any cloud stuff and as I had drafting in engineering school, I prefer old-school 3 view orthographic drawings. No need for 3D. Mist things I can draw by hand quicker than I can get CAD to do what I want.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I use my weave cad JacqCAD Master software. It’s a very powerful 2-D design program similar to very early versions of Photoshop which I also use at times.

Like Scott, I learned to use drafting tools on paper. I ideally only draw full size patterns for complex or curved parts that will require several processes.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors