DQ spreadsheet list requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
As I was getting ready to make the changes and fixes to the DQ spreadsheet/email program, it suddenly occured to me, that I might be making this more difficult than it needs to be. Especially since, I believe everyone is accepting the print it yourself DQ card instead while they were waiting for fixes to spread sheet program.

Some History: When we first started the program, there was only Klingspor. My original intention, was to send them a complete list of dq people every month. Coleman, however, said the computer entry was manual and he wanted to minimize the amount of data entry. What he wanted was something like he did with the more conventional WWing clubs. Once a year they would send him a complete list of members. And periodically, (monthly?) they would send a list of changes.

Remember, from Klingspor's point of view, they are trading a mailing list for the discount. There really is not a whole lot of need fror them to remove someone from their list. except it is a condition of our sending them the list. Thus was born the DQ spreadsheet.

Of course, Klingspor's employees would accept any "proof" that person was a member of NCWW, even if they weren't in the Klinspor computer system.. In fact, some people are in the Klingspor computer system multiple times. Once from the spreadsheet and another becuase the person said they were a member and the Klingspor employee would simply add them to the system.

Since then, we have 2 more vendors that have been added to the spreadsheet program, but I don't remember, or never knew what they really wanted. The fact that they are currently accepting just the self print card may imply that we are trying to do more than the vendors really need or want.

So here are 3 options that we could use. We could dictate one and/or let each vendor pick their poison.

Monthly list of all qualified.
Monthly list with add and deletes (what we are supposed to be doing now)
Discount card list which lists the address and the vendors that the holder is qualified for. Or something like it.

Personally, what I would like to see is vendor choice of 2 options.

1 or 3 above

Anyway what do they really require? Is ashville hardware providing a discount and if so, what are they using?

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Be nice to see the overall DQ complexity reduced.

One area I've poked at is some combination of Promotions, Title, Rank and Reputation.

It would necessitate changing how we assign DQ, but would reduce and maybe eliminate the custom code.

I mention this, as it could also simplify reports we send to DQ sponsors.

Jim

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Be nice to see the overall DQ complexity reduced.

One area I've poked at is some combination of Promotions, Title, Rank and Reputation.

It would necessitate changing how we assign DQ, but would reduce and maybe eliminate the custom code.

I mention this, as it could also simplify reports we send to DQ sponsors.

Jim
No disrespect intended. While your ideas are interesting, they are "beside the point' for this thread. I have about a week and half to rewrite the spreadsheet code. What I need to focus on, is what the DQ vendors require rather than how I set it up originally to meet Coleman's requirements. Past experience says that perhaps Coleman's expectations are not as high as they once were. And the other two spreadsheet receivers may not even need or want the spreadsheet, just a card.

I was hoping that the people who have recruited and/or interface with the vendors on the DQ issues, might shed some light on what they need.

Or if there is no objection, I could try to contact them and get the clarification myself, which would be the fastest.

Also. is Ashville Hardware a DQ supplier??

M

McRabbet

To my knowledge, Asheville Hardware has not offered NCWW a discount, but I'm sure they would if approached. I defer the answer to your question to Tracy as he has had contact with the Woodworking Source and with Coleman in the past. We appreciate your efforts to get this clarified and simplified.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I think we need to shy away from title, rank, and reputation due to our Friendly woodworking site. When you start ranking folks based on their posting activity I think we undermine our friendly atmosphere. So many members look at this site daily and may post once a day, week, month, quarter.etc. I think we would hurt our reputation by using posting statistics to qualify a person for any perk. So, now I will in the near future (after the holidays) start a staff thread for discussion on what direction I think we need to take. In my personal opinion I think a member marked as active should be on the DQ list. Please hold your responses until I start that thread. The entire staff and BOD will be involved in the discussion. Keep in mind this is just me thinking out loud..........:swoon:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think we need to shy away from title, rank, and reputation due to our Friendly woodworking site.
I don't think Jim meant we should award DQ status based on posting statistics, but rather that we should try and use the vBulletin built-in promotion/ rank system to maintain DQ status, rather than relying on custom code. Or maybe a hybrid approach.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I don't think Jim meant we should award DQ status based on posting statistics, but rather that we should try and use the vBulletin built-in promotion/ rank system to maintain DQ status, rather than relying on custom code. Or maybe a hybrid approach.

I agree, guess I read it wrong. wasn't pointing fingers. just putting suggestions out there.

Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'll say one thing for you, Steve. You sure know how to get the post count up for the last quarter of the year. :gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS