DP chuck key handle

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Tightening with the chuck key on my new drill press hurt my hand a bit. Since this elevation lock knob is working so well for me, I thought that a smaller version would work on the chuck.
972033EE-3763-4FAC-99AD-5CF5B83541F6.jpeg

I glued up a knob, removed the chuck key cross pin, replaced it with a spring pin, and made a recess for the modified chuck key.
0F8E45B4-9F0A-481C-927F-DDB2696F6557.jpeg

Here is the finished knob.
FE282C47-0203-4D6F-B9F8-0C87AA033B63.jpeg

Tightening with this modified chuck key is much gentler on my hand. Next step will be making a holder for stowing this key.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Love your post, great Idea.... so practical for us that are learning to live with age related hand weakness ........ "getting old ain't for the weak" ........

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Usually the chuck key wants more leverage, so adding an extension to one end of the toggle is more common. I am sure your knob is more comfortable ( and sure is pretty) but still not much leverage.

Stickers on the bit. Now that I will copy.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Usually the chuck key wants more leverage, so adding an extension to one end of the toggle is more common. I am sure your knob is more comfortable ( and sure is pretty) but still not much leverage.
The leverage is adequate for a no-slip grip on the bit shank. This Nova? chuck has a finer thread internally than typical Jacobs chucks do.

A nuisance of a direct-drive DP is there is no belt drag and if you try close/open the chuck by turning the barrel, the shaft just spins freely. This DP does offer an electronic shaft “lock” which sorta works. This knob allows me to make gross adjustments to the jaw opening simply by rotating the knob rapidly.
4F2566D2-0B46-49D9-ACB0-D5BFCEF21D89.jpeg

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Even belt drag is not enough for a keyless chuck, which is why I went back to a keyed.
Maybe technique, but I hold the bit and a finger on the bottom of the chuck to spin the collar until I am ready to use my key. I may snug my bots ( all three holes, always) as I have had too may crap chucks and spun too many bits.

Now when that knob gets polished by years of use, it will be sooo pretty. What brand of chuck?

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
After using the above chuck key knob for a while, it sometimes took a little too much effort to loosen the chuck. I made this knob with about a 1/2” larger radius to generate more torque for a given effort.
7AD843DD-771B-4ED6-A3F1-7D87E833E236.jpeg

The previous diameter was about 1-7/8” and the larger one is about 2-7/8”. So far it seems this larger knob will be quite adequate and much easier on my thumb.
29A2B902-D681-4431-BA73-929861DDED69.jpeg

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Here is the holder that is held on by two magnets.
42C754F4-5396-4CAF-8CCB-42A1052F89A3.jpeg

Note that when I grasp the knob and remove it from its holder, the key is already oriented towards the chuck.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors