Dowels for Pull Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpone

New User
Harpone
I am just starting to make some pull toys for great grandchildren and need some 1/4" dowels. What I have seen locally in big box and craft stores looks questionable for toy axles. Online various species (pine, birch. oak, etc) are being sold in that size. What woods would be good choices?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I bought oak dowels from Big Blue box store and they were much better quality than the softwood dowels.

attachment.php

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_196.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_196.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 225

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
I always drill an appropriate size hole in a piece of plywood and take it to whatever big box or hardware store I go to and make sure the dowel is a tight fit in the hole. It's amazing how many 1/4 inch dowels (or whatever size) are not really 1/4 inch.

harpone

New User
Harpone
I always drill an appropriate size hole in a piece of plywood and take it to whatever big box or hardware store I go to and make sure the dowel is a tight fit in the hole. It's amazing how many 1/4 inch dowels (or whatever size) are not really 1/4 inch.

Great suggestion.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I use an upcut spiral bit to pull the chips up out of the hole although I've also use a plain straight cutter, too. The plain straight cutter works better if you make a channel for waste clearance below the bit on the side where the dowel stock enters. I just make these "jigs" when and as I need them from some piece of scrap laying around and usually don't bother to to get too elaborate with it.

harpone

New User
Harpone
Thanks. I think you have given me enough info to get me started on making some dowels.

I use an upcut spiral bit to pull the chips up out of the hole although I've also use a plain straight cutter, too. The plain straight cutter works better if you make a channel for waste clearance below the bit on the side where the dowel stock enters. I just make these "jigs" when and as I need them from some piece of scrap laying around and usually don't bother to to get too elaborate with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS