Door question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
So I have a door question for you GC types out there - but you have to suffer through some backstory first :gar-Bi.

First I realize that code in NC and VA may be different, and may be different from locality to locality, but this is more of a feasibility question...

LOML wants to remodel the kitchen :)eusa_doh:kitchen cabinets, here I come!) and has been looking and asking questions to which I have some answers, usually having to do with structural feasibility. One of the goals is to try to incorporate the less-than-useful laundry room, which is really just a pass-through to the garage, into the main kitchen and moving the laundry to the garage. Last night, she hit me with the idea of closing off the current door from the laundry room into the garage, and converting the small pantry closet at the other end of the kitchen into the entry to the garage. Now structurally, I believe this is feasible, but I'm not sure if the pantry closet is wide enough.

So the question is, in general, and in your experience, is a pass door from the main house into the garage required to be a 3-0 door?

Your inputs and advise is greatly appreciated.

BTW - this "new plan" will require: moving the water heater (gas), blowing a hole in the FROG floor and boxing to allow headroom for the new stairs into the garage, sealing up the box over the old stairs, sealing the old door hole, placement of an LVL load beam, blowing out 2 other interior walls etc. etc. :BangHead:. My uncle says he's never known me to be shy about ambitious projects :rotflm:

C.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Hi Chris,
If the new door is the only entry from the garage (other than exterior doors), you may want to make it 3.0 so you can get all your future projects inside....just my .02.
Good luck and pictures, pictures, pictures,

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Thanks Randy - appreciate the feedback. The DIQ (door in question) is the only door from the garage into the house. But the shop is in a separate building, so moving projects, other large items into the house can occur through the main entry. It will, however be the passage for Brenda from the house to the new laundry area in the house...

C.

P.S. see ya' Saturday?

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
More than one :rotflm:. But the kids will be out of the house soon (I hope :BangHead::BangHead:).

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Well good luck on both accounts!:gar-Bi

Every door in my house is a 3.0. It's the smartest thing my contractor ever did! I will be able to navigate anywhere, even if I'm in a wheelchair.:cool:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
required to be a 3-0 door?

Entry doors are 2'8" minimum here and I started using 3'0 doors in the early '80s.

I'm not a fan of W/D in an unheated space. Aside from frozen, bursting pipes/hoses in a real winter event, washers rust faster in unconditioned spaces.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
It is my understanding that only one door into your house must be 36" wide. The others may be less but no smaller than 32".

See you on Saturday

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
required to be a 3-0 door?

Entry doors are 2'8" minimum here and I started using 3'0 doors in the early '80s.

I'm not a fan of W/D in an unheated space. Aside from frozen, bursting pipes/hoses in a real winter event, washers rust faster in unconditioned spaces.

True enough Joe! Part of this "master plan" is to close the double overhead door to a single, add a personnel door, and add some environmental conditioning (just a bit) - as we are tired of dealing with the mildew growth. We are considering the possibility of partitioning off part of the garage and installing the OSB floor tiles BobbyG has... the future of the garage space is likely to be storage and yard equipment - we don't use it for the cars.

Thanks for the reminder!
C.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I would not use less than 2'8" BUT I have seen and hardware doors recently as small as 2'0-". yes they were exterior doors. main entry is almost always 3 feet or wider I believe one door has to be 3' min. but the rest can be whatever you want. commercial is different but that isnt the case here.:gar-Bi However any door that goes from living quarters to a garage must be fire rated. Not sure if it is 20 min 30 min or 1 hour but it has to be rated.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
I believe the new BOCA codes require 3-0 entry doors and interior are now minimum 2-8 The code should be on web

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
North Carolina code is the main entry has to be 3'0" min. All other entrys have to be no less than 2' 8". That said I have to agree with the rest and say use the 3' 0". By the way I'm sitting here with a current code book so I double checked. Have a nice day
Richard

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Chris, what I was thinking and failed to type was:

Garage Entry doors are 2'8" minimum here and I started using 3'0 doors in the early '80s.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Chris, what I was thinking and failed to type was:

Garage Entry doors are 2'8" minimum here and I started using 3'0 doors in the early '80s.

you are prolly correct on this [garage doors] but unless codes have changed in the last 2-3 years [they may have] i have locked out thousands of new homes that had 2'6 and 2'0- exterior doors leading to decks, back yards ect.... never heard a complaint from inspectors. of coarse that don't mean it's legal. might be they just didn't enforce it?:dontknow: I always wondered why anyone would want a door that small.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Thanks everyone! I checked as soon as I got home... the main entry door is 3-0. The current door to the garage (the one we propose to move) is 2-8. The pantry is 37" wide and the 2-8 door, with casings, will fit - barely - and assuming no hidden obstacles :dontknow:

Thanks again for all the help - more requests to come I'm sure...

C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors