Door jamb help

Status
Not open for further replies.

striker

New User
Stephen
Hi Folks,

I haven't been on here in a couple of years ...since my wife got sick. Its good to see the site still thriving.

Anyway, I'm looking for a little help today. I recently got my house under contract and packed my shop in storage. Now Ironically, one of the items the home inspector picked on a the rotting door jamb in my shop building. Its an oversize entry door (42") which apparently is hard to find. So I thought I'd ask today if anyone on here was interested in rebuilding a door jamb (for cash of course) or had any thoughts as to where to find a door.

I have a carpenter capable of putting the door in; he's just not to quick to offer to make a new jamb.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Stephen

In Wilmington

DaveD

New User
Dave
If its not rotted too much dare I suggest you fix it with one of those two part epoxies used to fix rotted wood? Even bondo will do a decent temporary fix. Or you could not worry about it. Those inspectors are famous for finding things like that just to make you think you got your money's worth. Bathtub grout problems are their other flame to fame. ;)

He can't be much of a carpenter if he says he can rehang the door in a new jamb but can't take 3 simple boards and make a new casing. Then again, you do need to know how to use a level to do the new jambs:D

cpw

New User
Charles
I'm too far away to help, but have to considered negotiating the cost of repair off the asking price? This can work to your advantage as long as they are reasonable.

We did this with both of the houses that we bought. In one case it was an $8500 repair and the seller agreed, it was added to the terms and the seller had a cashier's check payable to the company doing the repair at the closing. The check was held by the attorney until the repair was done. On the second we just asked for a couple hundred dollars more off the price and got $500 off.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Stephen, first glad to see you back and hope you're getting along well again.
Secondly, are you talking about the jamb, jamb stop or maybe threshold? Or all three?

striker

New User
Stephen
I'm a little late with this but thanks for your input guys. Unfortunately, Andrew Jackson ultimately ended up fixing the door. In the larger picture the house is sold and I'm looking forward to moving into new digs eventually. Even have a a hankerin to make short boards out of long ones again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS