Don't You Just Love It When a Plan ComesTogether

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have a 3250 watt Powermatic generator that I bought years ago. When I bought it, it had a cracked block and a tank full of water. Replaced the block, and patched one hole in tank. Used it during snow storms and hurricanes. After hurricane Florence, tank developed another leak, many of them. Bottom of tank looked like Swiss Cheese, so there was no more patching it. Contacted several sources about another tank, but no luck. After doing some research, I figured that Septa 6 gallon, under the seat portable gas tank would fit the confines of the frame, but I would have to build some brackets to hold tank. Because it's a boat tank, it isn't gravity feed. This meant I would need a fuel pump. Have an old Honda engine that has a pulse fuel pump on it, so I decided to try it. First I needed to get a source of "pulse." Took the valve cover off another engine, drilled and tapped a hole for a 1/4" hose barb. Connected pulse line from hose barb to fuel pump, and then connected fuel pump between gas tank and carb. Purposely left fuel line hose long. To prime it, blew into fuel tank to force some fuel into pump and carb. Because I haven't built the brackets yet, tank was located a couple feet off the generator on top of a milk crate. A couple pulls, and she was up and running. Put a load (a fan & light) on it and ran it for a few minutes, with no problems. I think I will leave tank so it can be removed from generator and remotely located. This way, I could refuel it while generator is running if necessary. I love it when a plan comes together.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Pictures?
Mike, I don't do pictures. I'm not sure if my "hand cranked internet (680 KB,) would support them. Even though we live in one of the richest counties in NC, here we don't even have "third world internet." A mile away is "TING" and Spectrum, but not here. We have two choices, dial up, or DSl. Being as we are five miles from switch, and on copper, our DSL is ultra slow. You can come over a take a look.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
You should consider a gas tank restoration kit from KBS Coatings. It's a 3 part system that removes rust, fixes pin holes, and leaves an epoxy-like lining in the tank to give it new life. I've done this to 3 different gas tanks now with 100% success. You can buy the kits from Amazon or direct from KBS Coatings. The kit size needs to be determined by the size of the tank.

https://www.amazon.com/KBS-Coatings-52000-Sealer-Gallon/dp/B000IBDIX2?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_4

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/

Charley

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
This tank was beyond repair. Remember, I said it looked like Swiss cheese. Some of the holes, when sanded clean were over 1/4" in diameter. New Septa tank from Northern was only $59.99+ tax, with free shipping to store. New tank holds 6 gallons (old one held 3.5 gal.,) and is plastic which means no rust ever. I'll be ordering some quick disconnects for fuel line. This way, I can use short section of fuel line when tank is mounted onto generator, and add longer section when remotely located. Another plus is I could just drop fuel line down into fuel can, and not bother filling tank. I'll probably build an adapter for fuel line to fit spout of fuel cans. This would keep rain and snow out of fuel cans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS