DOMINO XL???

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I do - very gently used. Purchased to build one door. Only 14 cycles. You can have it for what I paid minus the tax plus I will include the box of dominos 12 x 100 qty 86.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Thanks Phil but FWIW I think I would just buy a new one. Dont get me wrong, I get it, but it is used , albeit slightly used Festool but retail price is not really a deal without a warranty for one. Im not looking to get one for half price but used is used and I do understand the price but to me, not worth it.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I have found it very difficult to find about any used Festool tools at all. The ones I have seen have always sold for only a small discount off of full retail. And they are few and far between.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Thanks Phil but FWIW I think I would just buy a new one. Dont get me wrong, I get it, but it is used , albeit slightly used Festool but retail price is not really a deal without a warranty for one. Im not looking to get one for half price but used is used and I do understand the price but to me, not worth it.

By my calculation, what Phil is offering is about $150 discount on what is essentially a new machine. I would also bet the green warranty card is still in the box to register the machine to whoever sends it in.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
By my calculation, what Phil is offering is about $150 discount on what is essentially a new machine. I would also bet the green warranty card is still in the box to register the machine to whoever sends it in.
I can get it tax free online and free shipping, so id be getting 86 free dominos and no warranty, and a technically used machine. Im sorry, used items are only worth what the market will bear. If someone wants it for that, thats fine.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
my understanding is in the US, whoever you buy it from registers it for you. Also, I don't think Phil told how much of the 3 year warranty is left.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Seems like Phil's offer is pretty good. It's hard to get anything off on a Domino. I've been looking for awhile. I get the rebuilt emails from Festool but the one time one was listed it was gone in minutes.

My rule of thumb is to sell used stuff at 1/2 retail. But that is for "normal" items and typically gets it gone quickly. This is an "in demand" item and it was hardly used.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Seems like Phil's offer is pretty good. It's hard to get anything off on a Domino. I've been looking for awhile. I get the rebuilt emails from Festool but the one time one was listed it was gone in minutes.

My rule of thumb is to sell used stuff at 1/2 retail. But that is for "normal" items and typically gets it gone quickly. This is an "in demand" item and it was hardly used.
Its all yours then Jim!

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm not sure I understand why folks are trying to talk Chris into buying something that he clearly does not want at the price offered.
Anyone that is looking for an XL (not me) and thinks that Phil's offer is a good one (me) should message Phil and see if the offer is transferable. Meanwhile, let Chris continue to search for a deal that he can be satisfied with.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Just saying, but the Gentleman thing to do was replying to Phil's post with a PM, rather than haggle over it here.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Just saying, but the Gentleman thing to do was replying to Phil's post with a PM, rather than haggle over it here.
If youre referring to me, I didnt haggle, I declined respectfully I thought with my reasoning. Apparently that wasnt good enough for some here.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I hope I did not offend anybody by suggesting Phil's offer wasn't that bad. I PM'd him and I think we have a "deal". My only point was that a Domino is pretty hard to get a "deal" on. Used tools are usually not in demand to the extent that Festool Domino's are. I saved a little on what is essentially a new tool. I decided that was good enough.

You can, however, save money on cutters and on the loose tenons. CMT cutters apparently work fine and are roughly half the price of Festool's and you at least used to be able to order the loose tenon sets from Europe and save about 1/2. I plan to just make my own loose tenons. I want the ability to easily make mortise and tenon joints but I don't want to use little narrow loose tenons, even though I understand I can use multiples. The videos I've reviewed say that the tool will make wider mortises just fine and I do not think making the tenon stock will be a big deal. But if I want, I will have the option to go buy some. The CMT cutters are available on Amazon.

First use will be on a crib for my grandson who is due to arrive in November. It should work fine for making the mortises for the slats as well as the other mortise and tenon joints.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Chris Goris simply wanted a warranty and he preferred to get a new Domino XL which would have that warranty. I didn't notice any haggling.

His opening post of this thread was...

Anyone have a gently used Domino XL theyd like to part with?
Festool says that they have a transferable warranty but I can't get that part to open on their website to see the terms and conditions.

Last edited:

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Chris Goris simply wanted a warranty and he preferred to get a new Domino XL which would have that warranty.

His opening post of this thread was...
This has gone way off the rails. My response about the warranty was, if I was going to pay THAT close to retail, I would simply buy a new one with a warranty. I dont care if it IS the coveted Festool, used is used. If others decide to buy USED at retail pricing, thats their business (and stupidity IMO). From what I read, the warranties are not transferrable. It does not specifically state this, but the wording has something about supplying the original receipt to claim it.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
This has gone way off the rails. My response about the warranty was, if I was going to pay THAT close to retail, I would simply buy a new one with a warranty. I dont care if it IS the coveted Festool, used is used. If others decide to buy USED at retail pricing, thats their business (and stupidity IMO). From what I read, the warranties are not transferrable. It does not specifically state this, but the wording has something about supplying the original receipt to claim it.

Ok. I was simply trying to clarify the discussion and my apparent misunderstanding of your point. Don't take offense.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS